sGPA:3.2 cGPA:3.4, MS in Chem, 38S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldnuts13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
science GPA 3.2, undergrad GPA 3.4, grad GPA 3.8
MCAT 38S (PS: 12, VS: 12, BS: 14)
MS in Chem

Heres the list of schools I am thinking of applying to:

UCLA
U of Colorado
GWU
Georgetown
U of Miami
Emory
Northwestern
Rush
Boston
Tufts
Dartmouth
Einstein
Columbia
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Wake Forest
Case Western
Ohio State
U of Cincinnati
Jefferson
Temple
U of Pittsburgh
Brown
Vanderbilt
U of Virginia
U of Wisconsin

I am from Ohio, have done about 5 years of research and am co-author on a Nature Methods paper. I got a summer fellowship at Case and worked in a nearby hospital. I do not have any "safety" schools on there because I want to go to a school with good research opportunities. I got my undergrad and masters from Emory.

I know that my undergrad GPA is low and that my 3.8 in Grad school is not going to count for much but I would like to know what my chances of getting into these schools might be.

Are there any schools I should add to the list? Are there any I should not apply to (I wouldn't mind taking some off if I had no chance)?

Thanks in advance for any help

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am not sure how this affects my chances (not helping I am sure) but I took the MCAT in 2007 and got a 27O

science GPA 3.2, undergrad GPA 3.4, grad GPA 3.8
MCAT 38S (PS: 12, VS: 12, BS: 14)
MS in Chem

Heres the list of schools I am thinking of applying to:

UCLA
U of Colorado
GWU
Georgetown
U of Miami
Emory
Northwestern
Rush
Boston
Tufts
Dartmouth
Einstein
Columbia
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Wake Forest
Case Western
Ohio State
U of Cincinnati
Jefferson
Temple
U of Pittsburgh
Brown
Vanderbilt
U of Virginia
U of Wisconsin

I am from Ohio, have done about 5 years of research and am co-author on a Nature Methods paper. I got a summer fellowship at Case and worked in a nearby hospital. I do not have any "safety" schools on there because I want to go to a school with good research opportunities. I got my undergrad and masters from Emory.

I know that my undergrad GPA is low and that my 3.8 in Grad school is not going to count for much but I would like to know what my chances of getting into these schools might be.

Are there any schools I should add to the list? Are there any I should not apply to (I wouldn't mind taking some off if I had no chance)?

Thanks in advance for any help

grats on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could be wrong, but I think an MCAT like that makes up for your GPA, though you might have some explaining to do at interviews. The 27 in 2007 won't show up on your application if its over 3 years old...so I guess it depends on when you took it.

I took the test on 6/15/2007. Does that mean that they won't see my score from 2007 at all? I took the "earliest MCAT considered" to mean that if you did well on the MCAT but it was before 2007 then you would need to retake it. Not the opposite (if you did bad then they won't see it). Please correct me if someone knows more then me.

I took the test on 6/15/2007. Does that mean that they won't see my score from 2007 at all? I took the "earliest MCAT considered" to mean that if you did well on the MCAT but it was before 2007 then you would need to retake it. Not the opposite (if you did bad then they won't see it). Please correct me if someone knows more then me.

I am not sure either but I believe you are right, they will see it. They just won't accept MCAT scores over 3 years old. I am not sure how that would be viewed however, I believe most schools just consider your most current score when making admissions decisions but not sure.