Tufts vs. Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctwoB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were accepted to both, which would you go to and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally....I would go with BU. But, I haven't interviewed at Tufts (I assume they passed on me). I think the research opportunities are better at BU, it's higher ranked (#35 vs. #45), it has a more diverse set of graduate programs directly connected within the university system (i.e. business school or law school if you 're interested in interdisciplinary aspects of medicine). I'm also not too keen on potentially having to complete 3rd and 4th year rotations at hospitals way, way outside Boston (I've heard Tufts does this).

Tufts might beat out BUs location though. And I've heard the facilities are great. Either are good schools in a good urban environment with fun things to do. I'd imagine the best way to differentiate would to figure out which strengths of each school relate better to your goals as a physician or your life as a medical student.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely pick BU over Tufts. First, BUSM does a large percentage of its clinical rotations at BMC, which is Boston's safety net hospital (aka you will see a wide variety of diseases, more than you would probably see anywhere else at a Boston hospital). Second, if rankings and prestige affect your decision then BU also wins in that category. CAVEAT: if you don't want to help the underserved, the BU is not for you. The catch phrase for the school/hospital is "exceptional care without exception".

The research facilities at BU are top notch, although I cannot speak for Tuft's facilities.

At BU The faculty and administration are always there to give help and provide advice whenever needed.

You will get one of the best clinical educations at BU, be surrounded by an awesome and diverse student body, and have a faculty that is pro-active is seeing that you flourish throughout your medical education.

I would choose BU...but having the option to choose a school in Boston isn't to shabby :D

Last edited:
I was accepted to Tufts so I might be bias but I'd chose Tufts.

Facilities: Tufts has excellent modern contemporary facilities. The technology and learning environment is one of the best I've seen. Spacious library, private study rooms, study lounges with tvs, couch and mini kitchen, SIM robotics man, great lecture auditorium etc. It's all in the same building so you never have to go outside once you're in (expect for anatomy lab which is in another building right across the street).

Curriculum: Tufts has a 1.75yr basic science curriculum which gives you a lot of free time to research or study for your boards. Something a good number of 3rd/4th will highly recommend to factor in when choosing between schools.

Research: Tufts has a good number of clinical research projects going on but BU has more research dollars due to their bio-terrorism lab. Research residency directors ranked Tufts 3.7(out of 5.0) and BU a 3.5 according to US News 2009.Both schools will provide more than enough adequate research for you.

Location: Tufts is located in the downtown area with the subway right next to it.

Prestige: In the medical world, both will get you to where you want to go. A 3.7 vs 3.5 grade by residency directors is a wash in the grand scheme of things. But Tufts name has a more national reputation due to its highly ranked undergraduate program as well as its well-regarded dental and veterinary program.

Clinical Rotation: Tufts students get to rotate at Tufts NEMC in addition to outside-the-area hospitals like Lahey(in Burlighton,MA), Wellesey(in Newton,MA) etc . This can be a positive or negative depending on how you look at it. Boston is so small in size with multiple hospitals everywhere so each hospital is stretched thin when competing for volume save for a few hospitals like Mass General. So outside rotation is kinda necessary to enhance medical education by exposing students to diverse patient populations at other hospitals. It'd be nice to do most of your rotations in one place but that's the nature of the beast in a place like Boston even during residency.

In the end, go where you're happiest and best fit. After that, everything else is icing on the cake.

Don't think you will find yours answer here. This is going to be a BU accepted vs Tufts accepted battle

Don't think you will find yours answer here. This is going to be a BU accepted vs Tufts accepted battle

Mabye, but as long as people defend their answers by talking about what they liked about one school or didn't like about the other its still informative. I think the answers given thus far have been very helpful

Honestly with both of these schools, there are too many similarities between prestige, tuition price, and quality of facilities (although Tufts is newer).

Look for more subtle things. Are you applying to the dual MD/MPH, MD/MBA, etc... degrees? B/c if so, Tufts saves you a year and is not very expensive.

Housing might be slightly cheaper for BU (as it's not located in the heart of downtown Boston).

Differences in Curriculum. I loved Tufts' curriculum. It's shorter and I like the block scheduling. The lectures are not too long and there is just enough PBL (but not too heavy like some schools). I know nothing about BU's but look into that.

Lastly, which school did you get a better "feel". I have been on enough interviews that I know pretty early on if I love a school or don't. Go with that feeling, it won't fail ya.

Good luck. Honestly you are picking between two great schools, so you really can't go wrong..... (Although I am biased towards Tufts)

Thanks for all the responses thus far, very much appreciated. Anyone else care to weigh in?

Does BU have the lower OOS percentage, or was it Tufts?
Can't remember..

didnt get interviewed at tufts. hafta go to boston.

Does BU have the lower OOS percentage, or was it Tufts?
Can't remember..

When will premeds learn that OOS does not matter to private med schools!!!??

There are 2 reasons that there is -- statistically -- often a higher number of instate acceptees at private med schools, and it does not affect your INDIVIDUAL chances of getting accepted:

1. MORE local people apply and therefore, MORE get in!!!

2. For some schools, they might accept a local just because they think that person is likely to attend because the have ties to the area.

BOTH of these factors should have no affect on your own chances of success at Tufts or BU. Just make sure they know you will come if accepted!

When will premeds learn that OOS does not matter to private med schools!!!??

There are 2 reasons that there is -- statistically -- often a higher number of instate acceptees at private med schools, and it does not affect your INDIVIDUAL chances of getting accepted:

1. MORE local people apply and therefore, MORE get in!!!

2. For some schools, they might accept a local just because they think that person is likely to attend because the have ties to the area.

BOTH of these factors should have no affect on your own chances of success at Tufts or BU. Just make sure they know you will come if accepted!

Mabye they're concerned about how many pats fans there are?

I love Boston as a city but their sports fans can be insufferable

Members don't see this ad :)
On an additional note to my previous post (in terms of prestige), BU may be higher than Tufts in the Newsweek Rankings. But overall perception-wise, Tufts is considered a more prestigious institution (most likely due to its reputable undergrad (Top 30) as compared to BU).

I'm highly interested in this question as well. I had the chance to visit both schools, and I really don't have a clear favorite.

I'd have to give BU the nod over Tufts when it comes to community health, especially given that BU has a top 15 public health school while Tufts lacks a school altogether (I found this to be odd, especially since Tufts does have a 4-year MD/MPH). However, I did like the research presentation component of interview day at Tufts which BU certainly lacked.

But, I definitely got good vibes from both places. Not a big fan of Chinatown, but Boston's Boston, right?

Its definitely a tough call, as the two have many more similarities than differences.

Right now, I think that I prefer the pre-clinical at Tufts (new facilities/classrooms, only 1 and 3/4 years, new sim lab, etc.)

But the clinical years seem better at BU (more varied patient population, more underserved = more getting hands dirty, less watching, less travel to sites outside Boston, and anecdotal evidence that BU turns out the some of the best prepared clinicians for residency.)

What do you guys think?

Its definitely a tough call, as the two have many more similarities than differences.

Right now, I think that I prefer the pre-clinical at Tufts (new facilities/classrooms, only 1 and 3/4 years, new sim lab, etc.)

But the clinical years seem better at BU (more varied patient population, more underserved = more getting hands dirty, less watching, less travel to sites outside Boston, and anecdotal evidence that BU turns out the some of the best prepared clinicians for residency.)

What do you guys think?

Hmm, I believe you would get many of those same opportunities at Tufts. That school also has a huge focus on community health and the underserved (especially at a global level). Finding opportunities in Massachuttes to get "hands on" experience isn't too hard. There is a HUGE patient population there regardless of which school to attend. I believe the unique location of Tufts in Chinatown will bring a fairly diverse population as well. There are also tons of free clinics that you can volunteer at.

Boston's school is ranked in public health b/c they have an official school of public health that Tufts lacks. The one thing you have to know is that the Tufts MD/MPH is more catered to students who just want a public health background but nothing more. I've talked with many students and they say that some public health stuff gets shafted b/c it is squeezed into four years. So if you are looking for an indepth knowledge of public health than Tufts MD/MPH might not be for you. It's also the generalist track (no emphasis or anything). Hope that helps with the public health stuff....

I asked the question to a close friend of the family who is a Professor at Harvard (MD/PhD) and she ranked them as follows:

Harvard > Tufts > UMass > BU

However, I think it comes down to a lot of personal preference. In the long run, Harvard is the only one that will stand out on an application for residency (in comparison to the other 3) just based on the name. I feel the other three are in the same league. If you want to do something like Emergency Medicine, BU has the facilities in Boston, Tufts has their big time Emergency Med hospital in Springfield (Baystate.)

I personally feel Harvard is the only one that I would choose specifically to do research at although BU is trying to bolster its name with research (or so I have heard.)

BU and Tufts are both respectable schools and I know it's hard to make the decision but I think here you can choose on the basis of personal preference (of the curriculum, facilities, location etc.) and not worry too much about how it will look on your CV.

so i got into both of these schools and i'll tell you my observations (i've withdrawn from both because i got into a school i liked a lot more and the COA is so high at both)

in terms of cost, the two are almost the same. these two schools might cost you the most of almost any school in the country. tuition is very high at both (tufts is more expensive) and cost of living in boston is really high since neither school subsidizes housing. i actually like the housing situation a little better at tufts though. since it's right off the red line, you can live a little bit farther away. a lot of the students i met lived in cambridge (near harvard) where rent is much cheaper than it is in boston proper and the area is nicer. since BU doesn't have a close subway stop available, it's not really possible to do this. the area right around tufts is much more expensive than the area right around BU, but most students at tufts don't live right around tufts. however, BU's undergrad is not as far away as Tufts' and it is possible to get housing there and either walk or take the hourly shuttle that they have (i think it's hourly). so i guess either way you're okay. i give tufts the +1 because i really liked the cambridge area and the subway is so close

curriculum and mission statement is a wash, you're going to have to decide which one you like better.

prestige wise, i think BU>tufts in a medical setting, but it's pretty negligible. (on a national level tufts might be more well known than BU because of its undergrad, but that doesn't really affect anything). you can do research at either school, but BU is probably a little bit better at this.

facilities for your first two years were amazing at tufts. their buildings are brand new and there's a lot of space everywhere for you to study or just chill. BU's campus is a little old and run down, but there is a charm to it. clinical wise, i think BU has a slight advantage. BU's hospital is famous for serving the underserved, so if that's what you want to do, BU is the school for you. BU's trauma center and ER medicine is also better (BU has a level 1 trauma center, while Tufts has a level 2). However, most things you can do at BU you'll probably have a chance to do at Tufts.

One last thing is I know at BU, you do need a car for your third and fourth years (at least the students I met there needed one). I don't know if you do at Tufts, although if you're doing rotations outside of Boston, it would definitely be needed.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
so i got into both of these schools and i'll tell you my observations (i've withdrawn from both because i got into a school i liked a lot more and the COA is so high at both)

in terms of cost, the two are almost the same. these two schools might cost you the most of almost any school in the country. tuition is very high at both (tufts is more expensive) and cost of living in boston is really high since neither school subsidizes housing. i actually like the housing situation a little better at tufts though. since it's right off the red line, you can live a little bit farther away. a lot of the students i met lived in cambridge (near harvard) where rent is much cheaper than it is in boston proper and the area is nicer. since BU doesn't have a close subway stop available, it's not really possible to do this. the area right around tufts is much more expensive than the area right around BU, but most students at tufts don't live right around tufts. however, BU's undergrad is not as far away as Tufts' and it is possible to get housing there and either walk or take the hourly shuttle that they have (i think it's hourly). so i guess either way you're okay. i give tufts the +1 because i really liked the cambridge area and the subway is so close

curriculum and mission statement is a wash, you're going to have to decide which one you like better.

prestige wise, i think BU>tufts in a medical setting, but it's pretty negligible. (on a national level tufts might be more well known than BU because of its undergrad, but that doesn't really affect anything). you can do research at either school, but BU is probably a little bit better at this.

facilities for your first two years were amazing at tufts. their buildings are brand new and there's a lot of space everywhere for you to study or just chill. BU's campus is a little old and run down, but there is a charm to it. clinical wise, i think BU has a slight advantage. BU's hospital is famous for serving the underserved, so if that's what you want to do, BU is the school for you. BU's trauma center and ER medicine is also better (BU has a level 1 trauma center, while Tufts has a level 2). However, most things you can do at BU you'll probably have a chance to do at Tufts.

One last thing is I know at BU, you do need a car for your third and fourth years (at least the students I met there needed one). I don't know if you do at Tufts, although if you're doing rotations outside of Boston, it would definitely be needed.

Hope this helps

Most people in California have never heard of Tufts, so I wouldn't say it's more well-regarded on a national level. I believe Tufts primarily has name-recognition on the east coast.

Reactions: 1 user
Most people in California have never heard of Tufts, so I wouldn't say it's more well-regarded on a national level. I believe Tufts primarily has name-recognition on the east coast.

I'm from California also. While a lay person hasn't heard of Tufts, I'd say most people (from California) in academia or who are educated view Tufts as a very good school.

Being in Boston you know, BU > Tufts any day of the week. Better clinical opportunities, much better prestige. Tufts ranks close to Stony Brook etc. 10 point difference in rank. Just compare the match lists.;)

Last edited:
Being in Boston you know, BU > Tufts any day of the week. Better clinical opportunities, much better prestige. Tufts ranks close to Stony Brook etc. 10 point difference in rank. Just compare the match lists.;)

It's not much better, only slightly better. Additionally, I think he was talking about overall perception of the school....Many people associate general prestige with how the undergrad is rather than the medical school.

Medical : BU 35 Tufts 45

Undergrad: Tufts 28 BU 56 (Boston College is 34 or something)

caveat - I'm into Tufts and waiting on BU:

I got a better vibe at Tufts. Vibes are important, but ultimately subjective and will change day-to-day.

Research wise - To the people saying BU>Tufts at research...I dunno - I have a lot of Ph.D friends who avoided BU like the plague and like Tufts...but this might have just been the bio dept and their particular labs/projects, who knows. BU is more highly ranked because it has lots of NIH funding, but the important number I think is funding per faculty, and I *think* tufts is higher by that metric. don't know, don't really care - I'm not going to do research and research faculty matter not in your medical education, for the most part.

Prestige wise - yeah it doesn't matter for ****e. but lay people will probably be more impressed by Tufts...whatever that is worth for. not much....

Cost wise - wash

Facilities - I think I would get depressed being in BU so much time. The student lounge is in the basement/dungeon and smells like fried food. The anatomy lab is pretty cool though, definitely the nicest view haha. Overall though, the facilities/location were a big con for me. Tufts is just...better. In that sense at least.

Students - got a good vibe from both schools' students - all cool people and they all seemed happy.

Conclusion - nothing I said matters, but it was a good mental exercise I had to do anyways in case I get accepted at BU later this month :smuggrin:

caveat - I'm into Tufts and waiting on BU:

I got a better vibe at Tufts. Vibes are important, but ultimately subjective and will change day-to-day.

Research wise - To the people saying BU>Tufts at research...I dunno - I have a lot of Ph.D friends who avoided BU like the plague and like Tufts...but this might have just been the bio dept and their particular labs/projects, who knows. BU is more highly ranked because it has lots of NIH funding, but the important number I think is funding per faculty, and I *think* tufts is higher by that metric. don't know, don't really care - I'm not going to do research and research faculty matter not in your medical education, for the most part.

Prestige wise - yeah it doesn't matter for ****e. but lay people will probably be more impressed by Tufts...whatever that is worth for. not much....

Cost wise - wash

Facilities - I think I would get depressed being in BU so much time. The student lounge is in the basement/dungeon and smells like fried food. The anatomy lab is pretty cool though, definitely the nicest view haha. Overall though, the facilities/location were a big con for me. Tufts is just...better. In that sense at least.

Students - got a good vibe from both schools' students - all cool people and they all seemed happy.

Conclusion - nothing I said matters, but it was a good mental exercise I had to do anyways in case I get accepted at BU later this month :smuggrin:

OK, then why not just withdraw from BU? I know how this question sounds and I know why you wouldnt but you went through the trouble of making this point so its only fair? Maybe its because in your mind BU is still more prestigous then Tufts. I have never percieved it any other way. Undergrad or not. But thats just me right. In the end we are all :luck: to do this thing called medicine.

OK, then why not just withdraw from BU? I know how this question sounds and I know why you wouldnt but you went through the trouble of making this point so its only fair? Maybe its because in your mind BU is still more prestigous then Tufts. I have never percieved it any other way. Undergrad or not. But thats just me right. In the end we are all :luck: to do this thing called medicine.

b/c I need leverage to get FA monies. that is how this game is played, unfortunately. and if BU by some miracle gave me more money than anyone else I would be happy to go there, truly. yeah yeah unlikely, since BU doesn't give out wads of cash - but theres a shot. and besides, if I go for second look I might catch something I missed the first time around, get a different vibe.

b/c I need leverage to get FA monies. that is how this game is played, unfortunately. and if BU by some miracle gave me more money than anyone else I would be happy to go there, truly. yeah yeah unlikely, since BU doesn't give out wads of cash - but theres a shot. and besides, if I go for second look I might catch something I missed the first time around, get a different vibe.

How in the world does an acceptance to another school change your FA package at a different school? That is completely NEW to me. Its based on your fafsa number and has nothing to do with other schools and leverage...

How in the world does an acceptance to another school change your FA package at a different school? That is completely NEW to me. Its based on your fafsa number and has nothing to do with other schools and leverage...

not the acceptance, the award. you can lobby for more award money if another school gave you more. doesn't always work, but sometimes it does! anyways - I don't want to hijack this thread further; I've put in my 2 cents!

All things aside, I would just like to say to the OP that in my perspective the general wash of premed/doctors would choose BU over Tufts anyday.

Be a little more sensible then this, decide on "Fit" or Cost alone. Then Id say go to your state school. But thats another can of worms!

not the acceptance, the award. you can lobby for more award money if another school gave you more. doesn't always work, but sometimes it does! anyways - I don't want to hijack this thread further; I've put in my 2 cents!

That doesnt happen. Be nice if it did. But 99 out 100, would never agree with this as an actuall tactic.

And my point is this. If it were the other way around and BU was your "fitted" school. You wouldnt think twice about dropping a lower ranked school. I could be wrong. But thats what it seems to be. But anyhow, just good healthy banter. I mean no disrespect!

Best of luck

i loved tufts and would go there over my other choices if it weren't so darn expensive. I got a REALLY good impression from not just the students but from the deans and professors as well.

(also, academia views tufts as a much better school than BU. BU has a higher ranking because of research funding and it being a much larger school.)

Honestly both are amazing schools, and everyone will have different criteria in comparing them based on their own preferences, goals, and interests. I don't know enough about Tufts to compare or offer my personal opinion though. Sorry, not a helpful post I guess, but my 2 cents :)

I'm from California and EVERY single person I've told about Tufts has recognized the name and been impressed. Although they didn't all know it was in Boston.

I think someone is pissed that Tufts rejected them? haha :laugh:

Anyway, you should know that both schools are great. BU is higher in US NEWS ranking which we all know means sh**. In the medical world they are considered equal. So it's more about fit, or important issues like curriculum/financial aid/etc.

On an additional note to my previous post (in terms of prestige), BU may be higher than Tufts in the Newsweek Rankings. But overall perception-wise, Tufts is considered a more prestigious institution (most likely due to its reputable undergrad (Top 30) as compared to BU).

True, but you are going to medical school. Undergrad reputation is irrelevant except to your mother's friends.

BUSM is ranked right between Dartmouth and Brown, but your mother's friends don't know that!!!

On the merits, they are both great! Both have minimal PBL and block scheduling, at least after first semester. BU is pass-fail years 1/2 and Tufts is too (I think). Students are very happy at both.

Only important difference, if it matters to you, is 3rd/4th year rotations at Tufts are all over the place. Some of them far away from Boston and you have to basically move!

BU rotations are at BUMC and other Boston area hospitals.

On the merits, they are both great! Both have minimal PBL and block scheduling, at least after first semester. BU is pass-fail years 1/2 and Tufts is too (I think). Students are very happy at both.

Only important difference, if it matters to you, is 3rd/4th year rotations at Tufts are all over the place. Some of them far away from Boston and you have to basically move!

BU rotations are at BUMC and other Boston area hospitals.
:thumbup:Yep BU enables you to stay in the Boston area!!

What does undergrad rep/prestige have to do with anything?

FWIW, I had never heard of Tufts until a couple of years ago.

OP, just pick the school you think you'd be happier at, or cheaper - since they're both incredibly expensive.

Oh, and I just noticed that Tufts moves you around for rotations, so in my mind that gives the advantage to BU.

HA! WRONG :thumbdown:
I think someone is pissed that Tufts rejected them? haha :laugh:

Anyway, you should know that both schools are great. BU is higher in US NEWS ranking which we all know means sh**. In the medical world they are considered equal. So it's more about fit, or important issues like curriculum/financial aid/etc.

Actually no. I did not even apply because 1. its the most expansive school on the planet 2. I am in Boston and have worked at the floating and BMC etc and dont like the culture of the Tufts medical arena. Etc etc and who really cares. But your insult is off base. Not interested in mud slinging but people who think the ranking are Sh*% usually dont have the option to consider it. 10 slot difference in ranking is like comparing Mt Sinai to BU. Thats a big difference. Funding for research is very important esp if you are interested in something other then primary care and are interested in getting involved in research. I could go on but I wont. Silly

;)

I think Fit and price is the most important thing. What YOU use for fit is different then say me, metallica, medgirl etc. You have to spend 4 years there so you want to be happy.

Someone said in a similar thread to this one that where you are happiest is where you will be the most successful. I think this advice is gold!

Best of luck. :thumbup:

FWIW, Tufts medical center is the only teaching hospital in Boston that isn't a Level I trauma center

Actually no. I did not even apply because 1. its the most expansive school on the planet 2. I am in Boston and have worked at the floating and BMC etc and dont like the culture of the Tufts medical arena. Etc etc and who really cares. But your insult is off base. Not interested in mud slinging but people who think the ranking are Sh*% usually dont have the option to consider it. 10 slot difference in ranking is like comparing Mt Sinai to BU. Thats a big difference. Funding for research is very important esp if you are interested in something other then primary care and are interested in getting involved in research. I could go on but I wont. Silly

;)

The Sinai to BU difference is MUCH larger than the Tufts to BU difference. Again those rankings take research money into account primarily which I will admit BU beats Tufts in.

Just go with the school you liked more. Tufts has a great curriculum. Very integrated, 1.75 years. Also a VERY impressive match list.

Also in terms of the Tufts medical center not being a level 1 trauma center, it has an affiliated hospital (Baystate) which is level 1. Plus level 1's and 2's can see all kinds of patients, with the main difference being the volume of patients you see and research.

The Sinai to BU difference is MUCH larger than the Tufts to BU difference. Again those rankings take research money into account primarily which I will admit BU beats Tufts in.

Just go with the school you liked more. Tufts has a great curriculum. Very integrated, 1.75 years. Also a VERY impressive match list.

Also in terms of the Tufts medical center not being a level 1 trauma center, it has an affiliated hospital (Baystate) which is level 1. Plus level 1's and 2's can see all kinds of patients, with the main difference being the volume of patients you see and research.

Yeah brother it's 13 versus 10. :p

Yea but it's Top 20 vs. Top 40 vs. Top 50. Do you see how as you get lower, it matters less.....

In terms of prestige difference maybe. But I disagree with you. 10 point difference in ranking means MILLIONs of dollars difference in the # and types of research opportunities available to students etc.

I get that people are defending "their school" or possible future school but this isnt a thread about "is Tufts a good school." I am making my case that the rankings do matter. For a lot of people.

And going to an affiliate level 1 trauma center outside of the city proper changes the patients you see, the amount of time there, etc. BMC is known for clinically training student by FIRE. I have worked and spent time with docs at both places.

This is a comparison. Not a value discussion. In the whole scheme of things Tufts is an amazing school but in my opinion BU has some real strenghts over Tufts. You can see in my posts that I think the OP should go to the school that makes him happiest and fits best. but for me:

Research funds: BU > Tufts
Clinical training: BU > Tufts
Location and culture: BU > Tufts
School Facilities: Tufts >>> BU
Students: BU = Tufts
Prestige: Outside of the medical community who cares. But I always thought of BU as more prestigous but thats because I have worked in the medical community in Boston for years (both Tufts and BU)

In the end. Its up to "Fit" That we agree upon. But I wont agree that rank is irrelevant. Thats just to broad and sweeping and I am want to give the OP a different perspective then the norm on this issue. :thumbup:

In terms of prestige difference maybe. But I disagree with you. 10 point difference in ranking means MILLIONs of dollars difference in the # and types of research opportunities available to students etc.

I get that people are defending "their school" or possible future school but this isnt a thread about "is Tufts a good school." I am making my case that the rankings do matter. For a lot of people.

And going to an affiliate level 1 trauma center outside of the city proper changes the patients you see, the amount of time there, etc. BMC is known for clinically training student by FIRE. I have worked and spent time with docs at both places.

This is a comparison. Not a value discussion. In the whole scheme of things Tufts is an amazing school but in my opinion BU has some real strenghts over Tufts. You can see in my posts that I think the OP should go to the school that makes him happiest and fits best. but for me:

Research funds: BU > Tufts
Clinical training: BU > Tufts
Location and culture: BU > Tufts
School Facilities: Tufts >>> BU
Students: BU = Tufts
Prestige: Outside of the medical community who cares. But I always thought of BU as more prestigous but thats because I have worked in the medical community in Boston for years (both Tufts and BU)

In the end. Its up to "Fit" That we agree upon. But I wont agree that rank is irrelevant. Thats just to broad and sweeping and I am want to give the OP a different perspective then the norm on this issue. :thumbup:

I agree with most of what you have said. I guess research was never my interest, but if that matters a lot to the OP, then BU might be the way to go.

;)

Dude, I was joking. Chill! We are all entitled to our own opinions and I'm not trying to insult you! In any case regarding ranking: the other school I'm considering is NYU and its ahead of BU, Dartmouth, Brown but I don't think it's necessarily a better school. They're all great. I hope you're happy wherever you end up cuz that's what really matters. We're all gonna be doctors in the end.

The schools are similar enough, and are only a few miles apart. Go for whichever school is cheaper to attend.

Status
Not open for further replies.