Known Placenta Acreata.....Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turnupthevapor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pt 37, healthey....third section

Placenta Preva w acreata

Good airway, skinny, elective repeat at 36wk

I am thinking CSE with a stick of etomidate ready if it gets messy. Two #18 or 16 g iv's. No central line, no a'line unless we're in trouble.

What do you all think? Some would recommend GA so airway is secured and we can focus on transfusing, etc. I disagree because a CSE will allow OB to take her time getting down to the uterus and no volatile is obviously a good thing.

What has been your experiences with these cases? are they always big blood loss cases or just sometimes? How would you handle it?

Members don't see this ad.

Placenta accreta

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Placenta accretaClassification and external resources
Types of placenta accretaICD-10O73.0ICD-9667.0DiseasesDB10091Placenta accreta is a severe obstetric complication involving an abnormally deep attachment of the placenta, through the endometrium and into the myometrium (the middle layer of the uterine wall). There are three forms of placenta accreta, distinguishable by the depth of penetration.
The placenta usually detaches from the uterine wall relatively easily, but women who encounter placenta accreta during childbirth are at great risk of haemorrhage during its removal. This commonly requires surgery to stem the bleeding and fully remove the placenta, and in severe forms can often lead to a hysterectomy or be fatal.
Placenta accreta affects approximately 1 in 2,500 pregnancies.
Contents

[hide]
[edit] Variants

The most common form of placenta accreta is an invasion of the myometrium which does not penetrate the entire thickness of the muscle. This form of the condition accounts for around 75-78% of all cases, and has no name other than placenta accreta.
There are two further variants of the condition that are known by specific names and are defined by the depth of their attachment to uterine wall. Placenta increta occurs when the placenta further extends into the myometrium and happens in around 17% of all cases. Placenta percreta, the worst form of the condition and occurring in 5-7% of cases, is when the placenta penetrates the entire myometrium to the uterine serosa (invades through entire uterine wall). This variant can lead to the placenta attaching to other organs such as the rectum or bladder[1].

[edit] Diagnosis

Placenta accreta is very rarely recognised before birth, and is very difficult to diagnose. While it can lead to some vaginal bleeding during the third trimester, this is more commonly associated with the factors leading to the condition. In some cases the second trimester can see elevated maternal serum alpha-fetoprotein levels, though this is also an indicator of many other conditions[2].

[edit] Risk factors

The condition affects around 10% of cases of placenta praevia, and is increased in incidence by the presence of scar tissue ie Asherman's syndrome usually from past uterine surgery, especially from a past D&C,[3] (which is used for many indications including miscarriage, termination, and postpartum hemorrhaging), myometcomy [4] , orcaesarean section. A thin decidua can also be a contributing factor to such trophoblastic invasion. Some studies suggest that the rate of incidence is higher when the fetus is female[5].

[edit] References

Placenta Preva w acreata

I am thinking CSE with a stick of etomidate ready if it gets messy. Two #18 or 16 g iv's. No central line, no a'line unless we're in trouble.

What do you all think? Some would recommend GA so airway is secured and we can focus on transfusing, etc. I disagree because a CSE will allow OB to take her time getting down to the uterus and no volatile is obviously a good thing.

What has been your experiences with these cases? are they always big blood loss cases or just sometimes? How would you handle it?

I have been there many times. Most go well as a hysterectomy is not usually required in over 80% of these cases. Hence, your plan will work the vast majority of times without a hitch.

But, I have been there with the not so skilled Ob Doc on a morbidly obese patient as well. Then, you may want to change the game plan if you know what I mean. I have lost 5,000 ml's of blood in one of these cases.

Placenta percreta, the worst form of the condition and occurring in 5-7% of cases.

The percretas can be worse than a gunshot wound to the liver.:eek:

Blade

Members don't see this ad :)
According to an ultrasound I had a subcorrionic hemmorage (a small tear in my uterus). They told me that it would repair itself in a few days. And it did. Form then until 15 weeks we had many other episodes of bleeding and hospital visits, but the ultrasound always reassured us that everything was OK. At 15 weeks I was diagnosed with complete placenta previa with abruptions and a possible accreta. I was put on strict bed rest. That was hard because my son was 2 at the time. At 17 weeks my water broke and the hospital sent me home because the baby wasn't viable and there wasn't anything they could do for us. We went home and waited for my water to break, or get a fever because of an infection. Neither happened. I had about 3 doctors visits a week with ultrasounds. At 24 weeks I was admitted to the hospital for steroids. They decided to keep my until I delivered. We were warned that the baby did not have a good chance of survival because there was never any fluid around him, and he needed that fluid to develop lung tissue. Through out all of my many ultrasounds they never saw any signs of accreta. So they thought that I maybe I didn't have it. I even had a MRI because they said that that would tell us if I had it ir not. The MRI showed no signs of it either. But they wanted to be prepared for it any way. They decided to deliver when I was 32 weeks, my surgery was so bad. Not only did I have placenta accreta, but the said it was almos placenta percreta. It had invaded my bladder, and after my uterus was sent to pathology they said there was only a small spot of my uterus (the size of a quarter) that wasn't affected by the placenta. Even though they tried to be prepared I lost more than 9 units of blood and my uterus. I was only 25 years old. I still have both of my ovaries, so that is good I guess. It has been 15 months now and I still have a hard time knowing that I can't have any more babies. As for my son that was born that day. His name is Luke and he weighed 3 lbs 7 oz and was 15 inches long. He was very sick when he was born. He wasn't breathing and he needed to be intubated. He got better every day and he was breathing on his own at days. Today he is prefect. He has no effects of his premature birth or difficult entry into this world. If any ond who reads this would like to talk please feel free to write me. I am new here and I don't know how to get around. Please feel free to E-mail me at [email protected]. Thank you for takong the time to read my story
Michele

thanks for the great research BladeMDA

Found this rather disturbing article

In a report of 56 cases of placenta accreta, estimated blood loss exceeded 2000 mL in 41 cases, 5000 mL in 9, 10,000 mL in 4, and 20,000 mL in 2, with 3 patients requiring 70 U of blood (13)

So they rushed me down to the O.R. by 4pm. By the time I got down there I lost 2/3's of my blood. They still could not reach the rest of the placenta vaginally so they gave me a c-section cut and had to take out my uterus. Thankfully they were able to leave in my ovaries. I had lost so much blood that they had to give me 14 units of blood, (in the human body there is only 7 units of blood) I bled that much and also I was not cloting properly. They had to staple me up after 6 hours of surgery and hope that I would stop bleeding. They could not keep me under any longer because I had had enough drugs to keep me out. (Also my baby girl Brooke-Lynn did just fine! And is doing very well to this day) So I woke up around 1:30 am. I awoke to a breathing tube down my throat, and one IV on my right arm, 2 IV's on my left arm and a central line on the right side of my neck and a catheder. I can remember fighting the breathing machine and coughing. Oh my gosh, THAT HURT! I had NO clue that I had a hysterectomy done. I waved over to someone to come over and signaled for pen and paper. I wrote down "What happend to me?" The nurse told me that she could not tell me and that I would have to wait for my doctor to come. I laid there scared to fall asleep because of the breathing tube, and felt that I would not wake up if I fell asleep, I laid there for 6 HOURS. That was the longest, hardest six hours of my life. Laying there not having a clue what the hell happend to me. Feeling my neck that had a cloth over it, thinking I had a tube inserted through my neck. Looking at my hands that were covered in IV's. That was intense. So finally around 6 am or so, they took out my breathing tube, that was a grose feeling. By around 7:30am May 4th, my doctor showed up and she grabbed my hand. "You gave us quite a scare," she said. She proceeded to tell me what happend, as I welled up I asked "Do I have to take hormone therapy?" Thankfully I do not. So after she left I was brought up to a Critical Care Unit where I stayed for a day and a half. Wow, let me tell you, they do not hesitate to give you morphine (laughs). I was in alot of pain not being able to even lift my head off the bed.

Now, imagine your patient is one of thousands of woman each year with a placenta accreta. What is your plan? How will you handle the situation? What are the most important questions to ask the OB doctor?

The last thing you want is to get get caught with your pants/panties down around your waste with your thumb up your a@@ while your "awake" patient bleeds to death.

These are the types of cases that separate the Physicians from the nurses.

Blade

http://books.google.com/books?id=tgMDWACdJJcC&pg=PA885&lpg=PA885&dq=placenta+accreta+and+anesthesia&source=bl&ots=O90TQn6ree&sig=1BFOzzr8h6jAE8M6s-462romt-g&hl=en&ei=e4KaSvKHAZme8QaH5NSjBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6#v=onepage&q=placenta%20accreta%20and%20anesthesia&f=false

Last edited:
So I have had the benefit of participating in many many hysterectomies after c-sections (well not many but around 8, which is too many).

here's how things have gone.. if it's been a known or suspected acreta we do them in the main OR. Two big IVs (16G), sometimes introducer if I can't find anything big. Rapid Infuser (level 1 or belmont), 4-6 Units of blood. If the airway looks Ok, start with regional technique (ie CSE) so that mom can see the baby (they live for that sh!!!) and then ready to induce when the fan is hit....

And I have to tell you, every time I've been ready, it's been smooth sailing and nothing bad has happened....

It's the ones that you're not ready for that can get ya. Up on the L&D floor where there is no help, no rapid infuser, and no real nurses. And yeah, one was a percreta (not known)and the main limiting fact in that was the OBs got in way over their head. It was a Sunday afternoon, and I got called that Mrs. XYZ was going back because she was a known previa and contracting. No bleeding, hemodynamically stable. I asked for them to get blood up (4 units please) and we went to the back. CSE, baby out, and then it went to hell. Patient says to me, I dont feel so good.. and then becomes minimally responsive. I intubated her with a whiff of etomidate and some sux. Bleeding like a stuck pig. OBs calling for back up (none in house). I'm calling for blood, I slide another IV in her (16 G) and miraculously also an a-line. Pressure of 50/30 for about 15 minutes while I'm running two alton deans with blood and crystalloid... no anesthetic and the BIS that i threw on was reading 7... In the end after they get gen surg to come help (invaded the bladder) I've given over 40 units of product.. 18 L of blood loss...

these are scary cases mainly because 1) OBs are not surgeons and 2) L&D is not a real OR.

Publication details

publication_small.png

Anesthesia for cesarean hysterectomy in a parturient with placenta accreta
Authors: Hiroaki Murata, Tetsuya Hara, Koji Sumikawa
Journal: Masui. The Japanese journal of anesthesiology

A 35-year-old parturient highly suspicious of the placenta accreta/increta was scheduled for cesarean hysterectomy. She had received two cesarean sections and two intrauterine curettages. Prior to cesarean hysterectomy, 900 g of autologous blood was stored for the predictable massive bleeding. Epidural catheter was introduced at T12-L1 the day before surgery. Bilateral internal iliac artery occlusion balloons were placed in the angiography suite under local anesthesia. Bilateral double J ureteral catheters were inserted under epidural anesthesia in the operating room. Then, the general anesthesia was induced followed by immediate delivery of the baby uneventfully by cesarean section. The occlusion balloons of bilateral internal iliac arteries were inflated immediately after the umbilical cord was clamped so as to minimize the risk of fetal ischemia. Hysterectomy was performed uneventfully. Intraoperative blood loss was 1,170 g, and 300 g of autologous blood was transfused. The postoperative course was uneventful and the patient was discharged 14 days after operation. Histopathological diagnosis was placenta accreta. We successfully managed the anesthesia for cesarean hysterectomy in a parturient with placenta accreta under a combination of general anesthesia and epidural anesthesia.
Masui. The Japanese journal of anesthesiology. 01/08/2009; 58(7):903-6.
ISSN: 0021-4892

http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/cgi/content/full/102/2/585
Study in A and A:

So I have had the benefit of participating in many many hysterectomies after c-sections (well not many but around 8, which is too many).

here's how things have gone.. if it's been a known or suspected acreta we do them in the main OR. Two big IVs (16G), sometimes introducer if I can't find anything big. Rapid Infuser (level 1 or belmont), 4-6 Units of blood. If the airway looks Ok, start with regional technique (ie CSE) so that mom can see the baby (they live for that sh!!!) and then ready to induce when the fan is hit....

And I have to tell you, every time I've been ready, it's been smooth sailing and nothing bad has happened....

It's the ones that you're not ready for that can get ya. Up on the L&D floor where there is no help, no rapid infuser, and no real nurses. And yeah, one was a percreta (not known)and the main limiting fact in that was the OBs got in way over their head. It was a Sunday afternoon, and I got called that Mrs. XYZ was going back because she was a known previa and contracting. No bleeding, hemodynamically stable. I asked for them to get blood up (4 units please) and we went to the back. CSE, baby out, and then it went to hell. Patient says to me, I dont feel so good.. and then becomes minimally responsive. I intubated her with a whiff of etomidate and some sux. Bleeding like a stuck pig. OBs calling for back up (none in house). I'm calling for blood, I slide another IV in her (16 G) and miraculously also an a-line. Pressure of 50/30 for about 15 minutes while I'm running two alton deans with blood and crystalloid... no anesthetic and the BIS that i threw on was reading 7... In the end after they get gen surg to come help (invaded the bladder) I've given over 40 units of product.. 18 L of blood loss...

these are scary cases mainly because 1) OBs are not surgeons and 2) L&D is not a real OR.

Yep, that is how they go when they go badly. I like the main O.R. idea but I doubt that would happen at my place. Most likely a second OB Doc would be called and I would be the one calling the General Surgeon (can't let the patient die because OB's feelings get hurt).

If obese place central line prior to case; you don't want to get caught with your panties down. As your case proves when the poop hits the fan that a-line went from easy (2-3 minutes) to a hope and prayer with multiple sticks while you are getting the Level 1 or Rapid Infuser ready for deployment.

Never be afraid to get help from extra CRNAs, RNs, techs, etc. You will need at least 3 people plus the circulator for this OB TRAUMA LIKE case.

1: Masui. 2008 Nov;57(11):1421-6. Links

[Anesthetic management for cases of placenta accreta presented for cesarean section: a 7-year single-center experience]

[Article in Japanese]

Kato R, Terui K, Yokota K, Watanabe M, Uokawa R, Miyao H.
Division of Obstetric Anesthesia, Center for Maternal, Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, Saitama Medical Center Saitama Medical University, Kawagoe.
BACKGROUND: Anesthetic management of cesarean section for placenta accreta is very challenging. The aim of our retrospective study was to review past placenta accreta cases in our hospital to suggest a strategy for anesthetic management for placenta accreta. METHODS: Placenta accreta cases were identified in our obstetric anesthesia data base. Their diagnosis, surgical procedure, amount of blood loss and anesthetic management were reviewed. RESULTS: Twenty-two cases of placenta accreta were identified. Of them 16 cases underwent cesarean hysterectomy. The amount of blood loss in the 22 cases ranged from 590 to 10500 ml. Neuraxial anesthesia alone was planned in 11 cases, 6 of which were converted to general anesthesia due to massive bleeding. In most of the cases, more than 2 large-bore intravenous lines and arterial line were placed prior to the beginning of surgery. All cases were well managed. CONCLUSIONS: We suggest the minimum requirements for anesthetic management in patients with placenta accreta as follows: (1) discussion with obstetricians to formulate a cesarean section plan, (2) early evaluation to formulate an anesthetic plan and to obtain informed consent, (3) two experienced anesthesiologists, (4) general anesthesia, (5) 2 large-bore intravenous lines, (6) an arterial line and (7) 10 units of both fresh frozen plasma and crossmatched packed red blood cells.
PMID: 19039969 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Good plan.

Placenta Preva w acreata

Placenta Preva w acreata

So when everything is going to hell in a handbasket you're going to stop what you're doing and try to place an aline in a hypotensive patient who may have a not so palpable pulse at that point?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would prefer not to have a sympathectomy from a neuraxial regional technique complicating matters once the bleeding began. I would do a general right off the bat. I would make sure the blood bank was aware and had at least 4 units ready in the room (with the level 1 infuser set to go) and ready to get more quickly. I would discuss this with the obstetricians and make sure that they are prepared for a hysterectomy if needed. Make sure they have two surgeons scrubbed in. If they get to that point and they had not even planned for the possibility, it will not be as smooth. This is a case where proper preop planning may be the difference in life or death for the mom. No one would fault you for a preop art line either. Probably a nice thing to have before things turned ugly as mentioned above.

Another important part is the preoperative discussion with mom and family to discuss how serious this problem is and that it can be life threatening. You are helping them understand that this is not a routine c-section and that you are doing a lot of planning to make sure that it goes as well as possible. Then, if it goes poorly, they knew that was a possibility. If it goes better than expected, the whole team are heroes. This is one of the handful off situations in OB anesthesia that should make even the experienced anesthesiologist's sphincter tighten a bit.

As a gen surg resident, I had a recent experience w/ an accreta. I was stat-paged to L&D. Ob-Gyn had gotten into massive bleeding (>15L EBL) and had already tied off both hypogastrics and done a hysterectomy, and STILL couldnt get the bleeding to stop (it had invaded into the cervical cuff, which was still bleeding). Gen surg was called in and we packed her off with bogata bag temp closure since she was hypotensive, cold and coagulopathic.

We moved her down postop to the main PACU for better monitoring. She was closed less than 48 hrs later, off the vent 1 day after that, and was discharged by POD 10.

Last edited:
I did a very similar case as a CA1. 37 y/o G6P5 with previa, possible accreta. Ended up being a percreta. We went down the CSE road. I would recommend going with a GA. Have a hotline set up with the blood in the room.

If she looks like an easy tube there's no reason not to give it a chance. I'd go the CSE route while being ready for massive bleeding.

Last edited:
I did a very similar case as a CA1. 37 y/o G6P5 with previa, possible accreta. Ended up being a percreta. We went down the CSE road. I would recommend going with a GA. Have a hotline set up with the blood in the room.

The first time you do one of these cases and it goes badly, I mean really badly, will teach you the lesson needed for the future. In my practice, if there is ANY CHANCE of ACCRETA they get the tube. If I get the super star OB DOC I may consider skipping the lines after a discussion. I would NOT skip large bore access.

Those of you who like the rodeo (cowboys) can probably get by with Neuraxial Anesthesia if and only if you get a very good OB Doc and the patient doesn't have an INCRETA or PERCRETA.

If I get the crappy OB DOC then it is time to get COMBAT READY. This means A-line, Central Line, 16 or 14G I.V., extra CRNA plus tech, extra R.N and a call to the blood bank for 6-8 PRBCS, FFP (4-6) and Platelets. Old Blade uses the TRAUMA PROTOCOL when the CRAPPY OB DOC gets a case like this one.

Also, I found out who and where the General Surgeon is prior to incision. I strongly encourage the OB DOC to get back-up available immediately.

Get ready for a GUNSHOT WOUND TO THE LIVER type of case. One last thing: consider those Ortho type shoe covers because you will need them.

ACCRETA- "AROUND" the Uterus. Discussed in detail above. Cowboys/girls go with Neuraxial anesthesia plus good OB doc. Still prepared for blood loss, conversion to GA, etc.

INCRETA- Some "invasion/penetration" of the myometrium. Prepare for a Hysterectomy and a tough case. GA recommended.

PERCRETA- FULL COMBAT MODE. GET HELP. CALL BACK-UP. GET THE LONG BOOTIES. Full penetration of the myometrium.

Blade,
While I do appreciate your sense of humor, I have to remind you that your personal opinions and the google searches that you feel the need to do for us are not necessarily the ultimate word in modern anesthesia practice, and if someone decides to do things that do not fit your definition of proper anesthetic care or do not agree with your google searches, this does not make that person reckless or a "cowboy" as you so eloquently stated.
I really think that you should concentrate on your anti CRNA debate because this is what you do best.

My best regards.

The first time you do one of these cases and it goes badly, I mean really badly, will teach you the lesson needed for the future. In my practice, if there is ANY CHANCE of ACCRETA they get the tube. If I get the super star OB DOC I may consider skipping the lines after a discussion. I would NOT skip large bore access.

Those of you who like the rodeo (cowboys) can probably get by with Neuraxial Anesthesia if and only if you get a very good OB Doc and the patient doesn't have an INCRETA or PERCRETA.

If I get the crappy OB DOC then it is time to get COMBAT READY. This means A-line, Central Line, 16 or 14G I.V., extra CRNA plus tech, extra R.N and a call to the blood bank for 6-8 PRBCS, FFP (4-6) and Platelets. Old Blade uses the TRAUMA PROTOCOL when the CRAPPY OB DOC gets a case like this one.

Also, I found out who and where the General Surgeon is prior to incision. I strongly encourage the OB DOC to get back-up available immediately.

Get ready for a GUNSHOT WOUND TO THE LIVER type of case. One last thing: consider those Ortho type shoe covers because you will need them.

Last edited:
as someone mentioned it's nice for the mom to 'see' the baby,etc..

However, this to me is a serious situation and sometimes you just need to forgo the 'touchy feely' stuff.

Go straight for the GETA so that's one less thing to worry about. Put an Aline in....get the 2 large bore IVs..all done PREOP..as PROReal mentioned, when stuff goes south, you dont have time to be fiddling with trying to find a vein for a 16G iv or time to put a Aline in...I wouldnt trust a CRNA to monitor stuff while I'm trying to get another iv or an Aline in.

I dont think central line,etc are very necssary. Also just make sure you have blood typed and screened!

Done.

Since there seems to be a potential for severe blood loss in all three situations, percreta, increta and accreta....why even risk the CSE?

Is the lack of control of the airway, sympathectomy, lack of invasive monitoring/central venous access worth the mother seeing her baby as it is born? I don't know, it doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

Oh well, I am a lowly CA-3, so my 2 cents is probably a 1/2 cent on these forums but that's how I feel.

Since there seems to be a potential for severe blood loss in all three situations, percreta, increta and accreta....why even risk the CSE?

Is the lack of control of the airway, sympathectomy, lack of invasive monitoring/central venous access worth the mother seeing her baby as it is born? I don't know, it doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

Oh well, I am a lowly CA-3, so my 2 cents is probably a 1/2 cent on these forums but that's how I feel.

Your input is appreciated. I think one reason is to avoid volatile which may cause a boggy uterus and cause Ga will cause our OB to rush and be sloppy cutting stuff

So when everything is going to hell in a handbasket you're going to stop what you're doing and try to place an aline in a hypotensive patient who may have a not so palpable pulse at that point?

I agree but I have a lot of help for this case, otherwise I would agree with you

IMO reliable large bore access and an a-line are mandatory for this, at least in the academic setting. As has been stated, the last thing I should be doing when the ish hits the fan and I actually NEED the a-line is trying to place it when the SBP is 50 and my priority #1 should be pouring products into the patient.

Blood and Belmont in the room ready to go.

I've never regretted throwing in an a-line on any case with any significant potential of becoming a bloodbath. I've DEFINITELY regretted not putting one in.

I don't see the need for a central line here unless venous access is questionable, in which case a cordis would be justified.

CSE seems fine as plan A, with a very low threshold to convert the first time the OB's eyes get wider and the suction starts making a lot of slurping noise.

Had one as an CA-1. It went down hill faster than you can say a prayer (700 ml EBL/minute when Uterus madily contracts). We had a pre-induction a-line, two 14 IV, blood products in room etc etc. In the end, the only thing saved all of us was we waited for Gyn-onc surgeons to show up before the incision was made.

Your input is appreciated. I think one reason is to avoid volatile which may cause a boggy uterus and cause Ga will cause our OB to rush and be sloppy cutting stuff

We do these quite frequently because of our large OB volume and we do TONS of repeat C-Sections, and as you know, the risk for abnormal placental implantations rises with each C-Section. I recently did three of these in less than a month. We are strictly private practice, no residents. BTW, these cases should not come as a big surprise, unless your practice has a large number of patients with poor pre-natal care. Most of ours are diagnosed ahead of time.

We now do almost all of these with GETA from the start. We've tried being optimistic and going with epidurals but invariably these patients end up being put to sleep anyway. I haven't seen anyone mention DIC and/or dilutional coagulopathies, but that's certainly reason enough not to do a neuraxial technique. A boggy uterus is pretty much a given with these cases anyway, so GA really isn't contraindicated.

Two big IV's are a must, and if you really think it's going to hit the fan, it sure is nice having that introducer in place pre-induction instead of trying to do it under the drapes after you've already stepped in it. We generally go without the a-line.

Don't even consider just a type and screen with these cases. We type and cross for at least 4-6 units, and make sure the blood bank has more typed blood, FFP, pooled platelets, and cryo readily available. I will not start the case unless at least 4 units of blood are in the OR in a cooler. We transfuse early, and as soon as we do, we order the FFP and platelets and stay at least 4 units ahead on crossmatching more blood. These cases bleed like stink. Assume they will, treat it early, and most do pretty well.

These are not one-person cases either. We will usually have at least two anesthesia providers in the room the entire time, and it's not uncommon to have one or two more if necessary.

We do these quite frequently because of our large OB volume and we do TONS of repeat C-Sections, and as you know, the risk for abnormal placental implantations rises with each C-Section. I recently did three of these in less than a month. We are strictly private practice, no residents. BTW, these cases should not come as a big surprise, unless your practice has a large number of patients with poor pre-natal care. Most of ours are diagnosed ahead of time.

We now do almost all of these with GETA from the start. We've tried being optimistic and going with epidurals but invariably these patients end up being put to sleep anyway. I haven't seen anyone mention DIC and/or dilutional coagulopathies, but that's certainly reason enough not to do a neuraxial technique. A boggy uterus is pretty much a given with these cases anyway, so GA really isn't contraindicated.

Two big IV's are a must, and if you really think it's going to hit the fan, it sure is nice having that introducer in place pre-induction instead of trying to do it under the drapes after you've already stepped in it. We generally go without the a-line.

Don't even consider just a type and screen with these cases. We type and cross for at least 4-6 units, and make sure the blood bank has more typed blood, FFP, pooled platelets, and cryo readily available. I will not start the case unless at least 4 units of blood are in the OR in a cooler. We transfuse early, and as soon as we do, we order the FFP and platelets and stay at least 4 units ahead on crossmatching more blood. These cases bleed like stink. Assume they will, treat it early, and most do pretty well.

These are not one-person cases either. We will usually have at least two anesthesia providers in the room the entire time, and it's not uncommon to have one or two more if necessary.

Amen Brother.

Blade

Blade,
While I do appreciate your sense of humor, I have to remind you that your personal opinions and the google searches that you feel the need to do for us are not necessarily the ultimate word in modern anesthesia practice, and if someone decides to do things that do not fit your definition of proper anesthetic care or do not agree with your google searches, this does not make that person reckless or a "cowboy" as you so eloquently stated.
I really think that you should concentrate on your anti CRNA debate because this is what you do best.

My best regards.

Based on Personal experience and/or quoted studies what is the "conversion" rate to GA for an Accreta of any type?

My experience is at least 20-30% get converted to GA. Literature suggest conversion rate is probably higher (50-60%).

I don't ride the bulls anymore. I am too old for the drama and it hurts a ton when you get thrown off. However, I am sure there are plenty of young, energetic MD Anesthesiologists looking for adventure.

Blade

Bilateral internal iliac artery occlusion balloons were placed in the angiography suite under local anesthesia.

We had two of these cases within about a month of each other, and had IR place balloons preop. This will be my plan next time I run into this condition.

Echoing what others have said: book it as a possible c-hyst in the main ORs with all your resources. Make sure your OB knows how to use an aortic cross clamp and that it's in the room. It may be the only thing that allows you to catch up. Alternatively, your room will look like this:

45 PRBC, 29FFP, cryo, platelets, 13L crystalloid, and Factor 7

IMO reliable large bore access and an a-line are mandatory for this, at least in the academic setting. As has been stated, the last thing I should be doing when the ish hits the fan and I actually NEED the a-line is trying to place it when the SBP is 50 and my priority #1 should be pouring products into the patient.

Blood and Belmont in the room ready to go.

I've never regretted throwing in an a-line on any case with any significant potential of becoming a bloodbath. I've DEFINITELY regretted not putting one in.

I don't see the need for a central line here unless venous access is questionable, in which case a cordis would be justified.

CSE seems fine as plan A, with a very low threshold to convert the first time the OB's eyes get wider and the suction starts making a lot of slurping noise.

its when the suction goes quiet (i.e. no air/fluid interface) that you gotta start worrying. I dont bother with a regional with these either. I'll give oxytocin and if Im really concerned about uterine atony that means the bleeding is bad and the inhaled anesthetic is probably going to a minimum anyway.

Those who want to start/try Neuraxial Anesthesia should remember that 30-50% of these cases will be converted to a GA. In addition, perioperative Coagulopathy is high likely in a significant percentage of cases so perhaps placement of an Epidural catheter/CSE should be avoided. Why add more potential risk to this case?

If Neuraxial anesthesia is chosen then it would seem a single shot spinal technique would be "safer" than placing an epidural catheter.

Comments or Opinions?

Based on Personal experience and/or quoted studies what is the "conversion" rate to GA for an Accreta of any type?

My experience is at least 20-30% get converted to GA. Literature suggest conversion rate is probably higher (50-60%).

I don't ride the bulls anymore. I am too old for the drama and it hurts a ton when you get thrown off. However, I am sure there are plenty of young, energetic MD Anesthesiologists looking for adventure.

Blade

The OP suggested starting the case under spinal anesthesia with adequate IV access and a low threshold to convert to GA on a patient with an easy airway.
This is an acceptable plan even if your google search does not agree.
And the fact that you see things differently does not invalidate anyone's approach nor does it make them cowboys or reckless.
By the way, you forgot to remind us that you have done millions of acretas over the past 75 years you've been in practice.

[SIZE=+2] Discussion [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Top
Abstract
Introduction
Case Report
dot.gif
Discussion
References
[/SIZE]
Regional anesthesia (RA) has a number of advantages over general anesthesia (GA) in obstetrics, including reduced aspiration risk, better postoperative pain control, improved maternal birth experience, and decreased fetal exposure to the depressant effects of GA (5,6). GA drugs also lead to decreased uterine tone and decreased platelet function (7). RA has been associated with decreased blood loss and decreased need for transfusion in major obstetric hemorrhage (8,9). Furthermore, in elective CS randomized to RA or GA, blood loss is lower with RA (10).

In addition to the above-mentioned advantages of RA for CS, an epidural technique facilitates placement of IIAOBC that can take 45 minutes. Starting these cases with GA exposes babies to large doses of anesthesia, which is of concern in certain high-risk situations, such as the premature twins in our series. We chose an epidural as opposed to a single-shot spinal to reduce the initial sympathectomy and to allow re-dosing if the operation was prolonged. Many clinicians continue to use GA for CS when postpartum hemorrhage is anticipated, citing concerns of sympathectomy with blood loss. This case series demonstrates that CS with high risk for postpartum hemorrhage can be safely conducted under RA with preoperative IIAOBC placement.
Two patients had extensive placental abnormalities requiring long surgeries with persistent blood loss despite IIAOBC. These were converted to GA because of concerns regarding development of airway edema because of continuing resuscitation (11), patient restlessness, and surgeons’ concerns regarding the extensive dissection and potential continued blood loss. This decision was not influenced by any concern for the sympathectomy induced by epidural anesthesia and could have been managed under epidural anesthesia from a hemodynamic standpoint. It is our practice to intubate the airway in a timely fashion to minimize potential for a difficult airway after extensive fluid resuscitation.
In our case of uterine AVM, the utility of intraarterial balloons is undisputable, as the blood loss was terminated by IIAOBC. However, in other cases blood loss, although decreased, continued with the IIAOBC inflated. It is possible for abnormal placentas to have collateral blood flow, causing blood loss despite occlusion of the internal iliac arteries (12) and contingency plans should be made. In cases of placenta accreta, potential for blood loss is massive. In a report of 56 cases of placenta accreta, estimated blood loss exceeded 2000 mL in 41 cases, 5000 mL in 9, 10,000 mL in 4, and 20,000 mL in 2, with 3 patients requiring 70 U of blood (13). The efficacy of arterial balloon catheters and pelvic embolization in active obstetric hemorrhage is well established (4,14,15), but the role of prophylactic arterial balloon catheter placement is still to be determined (4,16,17). However, given the incidence of significant morbidity in patients with placenta percreta adherent to the bladder (13), we believe that blood loss would have been larger without IIAOBC (18,19).
In one case, despite suspected placenta percreta on prenatal imaging, no placental abnormality was found at CS. Starting this case under GA would have exposed mother and fetus to the risks of GA unnecessarily. Sensitivity and specificity of ultrasound diagnosis of placenta accreta are reported to be as frequent as 82% and 97% (3), respectively. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is helpful for imaging patients with a history of myomectomy or posterior placenta (2). However, a retrospective study shows that the sensitivity of these techniques may be as low as 38% for MRI and 33% for ultrasound (20). Diagnostic accuracy probably depends on institutional expertise and will likely improve as technology evolves.
At Stanford University, all patients with prenatal imaging suggestive of a major placental abnormality are considered candidates for IIAOBC placement. The cases in Table 1 represent 18 months of experience at our institution. In our series, the two patients who still had major blood loss despite the IIAOBC had placenta percreta with adherence to the bladder and represent a subset of patients at risk for major morbidity and death (13,18,19).
The prophylactic use of IIAOBC placement is controversial and large randomized controlled trials will be necessary to prove that the technique decreases blood loss. These will be difficult to conduct because of the large numbers required and variability associated with abnormal placentation. Anecdotally, we believe that IIAOBC improve surgical conditions and reduce blood loss when compared with cases in which similar patients are without the catheters. When making the decision to use prophylactic IIAOBC, it is important to balance the risks of catheter placement such as arterial injury, radiation exposure, and bleeding with potential benefits of hemorrhage control and preservation of fertility (21). To minimize morbidity in these cases, there should be a multidisciplinary team approach, including involvement of anesthesiologists, obstetricians, and, possibly, other specialists such as interventional radiologists and gynecological oncologists. In our experience, CS in patients at risk for hemorrhage who receive prophylactic IIAOBC can be successfully performed under epidural anesthesia. However, IIAOBC does not control all cases of hemorrhage and provisions for the possibility of significant hemorrhage and conversion to GA must be anticipated.

The OP suggested starting the case under spinal anesthesia with adequate IV access and a low threshold to convert to GA on a patient with an easy airway.
This is an acceptable plan even if your google search does not agree.
And the fact that you see things differently does not invalidate anyone's approach nor does it make them cowboys or reckless.
By the way, you forgot to remind us that you have done millions of acretas over the past 75 years you've been in practice.

My N=6 cases of which 4 were performed under single shot spinal. Only 1 was converted to a GA.

I respect others have a different opinion than me and wish to pursue Regional/Neuraxial for this condition. Based upon my limited experience and practice type that is no longer my first choice.

GETA, avoid sympathectomy in anticipation of blood loss.
Big IV's, blood in room.

1: Anaesthesia. 2005 Nov;60(11):1079-84. Links

Anaesthetic management of placenta accreta: use of a pre-operative high and low suspicion classification.

Weiniger CF, Elram T, Ginosar Y, Mankuta D, Weissman C, Ezra Y.
Department of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Medicine, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Centre, Jerusalem, Israel, POB 12000. [email protected]
Placenta accreta may be suspected prior to surgery, but the actual diagnosis is only confirmed at surgery. This prospective and observational study was performed to assess whether preparations should be made for potential massive blood loss prior to Caesarean surgery in all patients with suspected placenta accreta. Patients were classified as high or low suspicion for placenta accreta based on ultrasonography and clinical factors. Among 28 suspected cases of placenta accreta, diagnosis was confirmed at surgery in 50% (12/17 high and 2/11 low suspicion) cases. Hysterectomy was only performed in the 12 high suspicion patients with placenta accreta (p < 0.001). High suspicion patients required more blood transfusions: mean(SD) 6.5 (7.0) units vs 1.09 (1.1) units, p = 0.017. Anaesthetists should be prepared for major haemorrhage in all cases of suspected placenta accreta, although use of a system to grade level of suspicion may identify those at greater risk.

BJOG. 2009 Apr;116(5):648-54. Epub 2009 Feb 4. Links

Optimal management strategies for placenta accreta.

Eller AG, Porter TF, Soisson P, Silver RM.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Divisions of Maternal Fetal Medicine and Gynecologic Oncology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA. [email protected]
OBJECTIVE: To determine which interventions for managing placenta accreta were associated with reduced maternal morbidity. DESIGN: Retrospective cohort study. SETTING: Two tertiary care teaching hospitals in Utah. POPULATION: All identified cases of placenta accreta from 1996 to 2008. METHODS: Cases of placenta accreta were identified using standard ICD-9 codes for placenta accreta, placenta praevia, and caesarean hysterectomy. Medical records were then abstracted for maternal medical history, hospital course, and maternal and neonatal outcomes. Maternal and neonatal complications were compared according to antenatal suspicion of accreta, indications for delivery, preoperative preparation, attempts at placental removal before hysterectomy, and hypogastric artery ligation. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Early morbidity (prolonged maternal intensive care unit admission, large volume of blood transfusion, coagulopathy, ureteral injury, or early re-operation) and late morbidity (intra-abdominal infection, hospital re-admission, or need for delayed re-operation). Results Seventy-six cases of placenta accreta were identified. When accreta was suspected, scheduled caesarean hysterectomy without attempting placental removal was associated with a significantly reduced rate of early morbidity compared with cases in which placental removal was attempted (67 versus 36%, P=0.038). Women with preoperative bilateral ureteric stents had a lower incidence of early morbidity compared with women without stents (18 versus 55%, P=0.018). Hypogastric artery ligation did not reduce maternal morbidity. CONCLUSIONS: Scheduled caesarean hysterectomy with preoperative ureteric stent placement and avoiding attempted placental removal are associated with reduced maternal morbidity in women with suspected placenta accreta.

I don't think anyone really disagreed that GA was a good plan but that does not mean you can't do it safely the way the OP stated, as long as you know your options and have a well estabilshed plan.
And if you choose a plan that google searches do not support this does not make you a cowboy.
Any way this thread is well on it's way to turn into one more of these internet findings posting salads that some people enjoy, so there is no point in even attempting to have a discussion.
:diebanana:

Any way this thread is well on it's way to turn into one more of these internet findings posting salads that some people enjoy, so there is no point in even attempting to have a discussion.

Other that criticizing Blade you haven't brought much to this thread which is a valuable clinical thread. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and i think peolpes on this board are mature enough to make their own decisions wisely.

Other that criticizing Blade you haven't brought much to this thread which is a valuable clinical thread. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and i think peolpes on this board are mature enough to make their own decisions wisely.

Exactly. I wasn't calling anyone or the OP "reckless" but rather using some colloquial language. In fact, I used to approach these cases in the same manner as the OP (sans the catheter). But, these days I want to focus on the main problem at hand (bleeding and more bleeding) without worrying about how Mommy is feeling during the case.

I am done with this BS, and I don't have any clinical contribution to a pseudo clinical thread that is composed of random google search results.
I am actually done with this whole stupid forum and I do regret every minute I wasted on it.
Good Bye.

I would prefer not to have a sympathectomy from a neuraxial regional technique complicating matters once the bleeding began. I would do a general right off the bat. I would make sure the blood bank was aware and had at least 4 units ready in the room (with the level 1 infuser set to go) and ready to get more quickly. I would discuss this with the obstetricians and make sure that they are prepared for a hysterectomy if needed. Make sure they have two surgeons scrubbed in. If they get to that point and they had not even planned for the possibility, it will not be as smooth. This is a case where proper preop planning may be the difference in life or death for the mom. No one would fault you for a preop art line either. Probably a nice thing to have before things turned ugly as mentioned above.

Another important part is the preoperative discussion with mom and family to discuss how serious this problem is and that it can be life threatening. You are helping them understand that this is not a routine c-section and that you are doing a lot of planning to make sure that it goes as well as possible. Then, if it goes poorly, they knew that was a possibility. If it goes better than expected, the whole team are heroes. This is one of the handful off situations in OB anesthesia that should make even the experienced anesthesiologist's sphincter tighten a bit.

I agree

thanks for everyones inpit

i will let you know how it goes!

case is in am