Question for those who go into USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepinxlionhar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the letter of recommendations that are required for USC. I called them today, and I've been told that there has to be 2 from lecture based science professors. Since I'm not sure if I'll be able to get another lecture based professor's LOR, I was wondering if there is any leniency regarding this requirement? Because I'm pretty sure I can get other science professors LOR, but just not lecture based, but USC says no to those. But I'm sure they know that we can't fullfill every dental school's requirement on LOR since all the schools get the same LORs.

So my question to those who go into USC, did you have to fufill the 2 lecture based science professor LOR requirement? Or did they give you guys some slack?

THanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got 2 science teachers...bio and chem, one from a dentist, and another one from a non-sci teacher! I think any school not juss USC usually needs 2 sci LOR and some make them specific as one from bio and chem. I am pretty sure most schools wont accept a LOR if its not from a professor. Talk to other professors and see if you can get one more. Good luck!

I see. The thing is, I already have one from my ochem prof, but I just need one more, which I want to get from a bio prof. But the thing is, I think I can get a letter from a bio prof that I've worked with, but never took his class. I called other schools, like Midwestern, and they don't mind if I have a LOR from a professor that I've worked with, but haven't taken the class. So I was like "yay!" until I found out USC and Case specifically require science professors that are lecture based.

I did talk to one sci prof that was lecture based, and what he basically told me was that there's only so much to talk about, went to office hours, got a good grade, ECs..and that's about it. On the other hand, if I got one from a sci prof that I've worked with, it would be kinda better because he can comment on my work habits, attention to detail, etc, which I think would help gauge how one's work ethiics in the dental office.

So I guess I have no choice to just somehow get one from a lecture based biosci prof then..I did ask two bio profs by email, but they never responded, so I'm guess that's a no? Or should I go ask them in person in their office?

I just don't have that many options for LOR from bio profs because I have a hard time getting As in bio, haha. It's mostly in physical science where my As are at.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed all the of my professors, but if you really do need one, the BEST thing to do is go during office hours. They might be very busy for answering emails so go talk to them in person. Also, you dont need to get an A in a class for them to write you one. Just dont ask a professor that you got a C in. Any science teacher can write you one because they all could comment on how hard you worked in their class. The difference is sayin this person got an A or a B. If you cant get bio, get chem, physics, or anyone in the sciences.

Somehow I was always under the impression that you must have an A in the course to get a strong LOR.

I'm trying to get a LOR from a bio prof because some schools require one from bio, and one from physical science. So hard to try and satisfy them all! lol.

Yeah, thanks for the advice, it definitely opened up my possibilities a bit. Now I'm just hoping at least one bio prof is nice enough to write me a good one :D

Yea its hard to satisfy everyone! But I am not sure if USC said specifically one from bio and one from chem, but if they didnt say anything, you can always get another one from a physical sci professor.

and oh yea, I asked my bio teacher to write me in which I got a B in, because he knows me really well. He was really nice enough to have me read it. He wrote the best letter that I have ever read!! Explore your options and dont hesitate to ask all your professors! Send a mass email, and you will do fine! Good luck! :D

Yeah, USC didn't specify, but I would like to hit 2 birds w/ one stone you know?

That's good to hear! I wish many prof. were like your bio one. I'm in really good relations with my ochem prof, too bad that's not the case with my bio ones. The thing is, for my school, they change professors every 5 weeks into the quarter(10wk quarter) sometimes they even have 3 professors teaching one course, and it's so hard to know them, and it doesn't help when they won't make extra office hours for students who have schedule conflicts -__-.
Anyway, when I go ask, and if they're like "who are you?" I'll just be like "you don't remember me? I always go to your office hours" LOL. I mean, they have a tone of students that go to office hours, so I doubt they'll remember each and every one. XD

Cool, thanks for your help! Good luck at USC~!

USC doesn't place extreme emphasis on LOR's because at my interview, MANY people were missing the correct letters of rec from science professors. At the interview they will give you a sheet of paper detailing the missing or required letters (if you didn't already satisfy them). Of course its better to your package sent out sooner than later and then fix the formalities later - this is for USC specifically, other schools need them upfront.

USC doesn't place extreme emphasis on LOR's because at my interview, MANY people were missing the correct letters of rec from science professors. At the interview they will give you a sheet of paper detailing the missing or required letters (if you didn't already satisfy them). Of course its better to your package sent out sooner than later and then fix the formalities later - this is for USC specifically, other schools need them upfront.

Just give them a small resume so they have something to talk about in case they don't remember you haha.

Oh, wow, so they don't give any slack on the fact that it must be from lecture based profs. huh?

Crap, I got turned down from every lecture bio prof I asked. They just told me the same thing that if they do want to write me a letter, it won't be strong because they don't know me, yet there's always 40ish students at their office hours. Gah...I don't know if a non lecture bio professor will do..:scared:

Crap, I got turned down from every lecture bio prof I asked. They just told me the same thing that if they do want to write me a letter, it won't be strong because they don't know me, yet there's always 40ish students at their office hours. Gah...I don't know if a non lecture bio professor will do..:scared:

if it's not too late, take some upper division class that has less than 50 students, get to know the teacher and then ask him/her for a rec. You can also try asking associate/assistant professors that are younger as they seemed to be more willing to help me out compared to the older tenure research oriented professors.

Try to tell them if they are willing to meet you outside of office hours in starbucks or something so they can get to know you! Also give them a resume! If they say no, then that just means they dont want to write you one and best to find somebody else!

Hrm, I want to take a smaller upper div bio class, but I don't want to overload myself with classes when I have to study for the DAT. So I don't think I can go that route.

Well, the prof I talked to today said something like it's impossible to like just sit down for 2 hours to get to know me. ARgh....I mean, if it wasn't for the LOR being from lecture profs, I don't have a problem...hrm..since USC doesn't specify the requirements on their website(unless they do, but I couldn't find it) unless you call and ask them, could I just get one from a non lecture bio prof and be like "oh, I didn't know about the LOR requirements because I couldn't find it on the website"

Honestly, I dont know what to tell you :confused: Best advice is to take a really easy bio class and on the first day of class, tell the professor you would like them to write you a letter of rec. and to observe your work throughout the quarter/semester! That way they can be prepared to write you a good letter when the time comes!

But....I like the way you think! If they didnt say specifically non or traditional bio professor, then go for it!! But for a heads up, after you take the DAT and just waiting for interviews, take a really easy bio course and do the above. I really really doubt they wont take you for an interview just becuase you dont have a LOR for a lecture bio or if it is from a non-lecture!

Okay...I mean, if I do get a LOR from a non-lecture prof, I guess I can tell them not to mention that they aren't a prof from my lectures right? So then..everything works out? Haha..hopefully.

Thanks for all the input Ma Grillz, you're probably tired of hearing about my woes, lol. But it's stressing me out.

I'll try everything, I guess I just have my play my cards right, and very carefully.

Just make sure in the letter, they do say they are a professor in the bio department! Then you can have the admission commitee assume you took a class with them. That way everybody wins lol

I know how you feel! I was once in your position and now I am really thankful that God has blessed me. I would like to share that blessing by helping anyone out. By the way, message me if you need to talk or have any more questions!