Pharmacist job market in Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willrocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering, for those of you in the area, what is the job market for pharmacists and pharmacy interns like in Pittsburgh?

Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The only places hiring are the folks that offer insulting pay. Like Mon Valley at their "fantastic" $38/hour (though they will give you a pension). Or UPMC and their "prestigious" $36/hour. If you are willing to do work in mail order, there are jobs...pay is decent...but its mail order...guh...

The only places hiring are the folks that offer insulting pay. Like Mon Valley at their "fantastic" $38/hour (though they will give you a pension). Or UPMC and their "prestigious" $36/hour. If you are willing to do work in mail order, there are jobs...pay is decent...but its mail order...guh...

rofl classic wvupharm smackdown. PS: I started buying honey nut cheerios again a week ago just because of how disappointed Omar was in that scene! :laugh::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
2 pharm schools in town

thats all you need to know

Pittsburgh’s economy has sucked since the steel mills closed.

There are also way too many pharmacy schools in the Pittsburgh area. Here are the ones I know of.

WVU
Pitt
Duquesne (2 pharm classes)
Lecom Erie
Lecom Greenbug soon to open up

If you are willing to move 40ish minutes out of Pittsburgh you can find good paying pharmacy jobs. But let me warn you, once you get forty minutes out of Pittsburgh there isn’t much. There is breath of life at state college, and little going on in Harrisburg, but you really don’t find an urban environment till u get the whole way to Philly.

I guess thats why they call the gap b/t Pittsburgh and Philly, Pennsyltucky.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm currently an RPh in Los Angeles and looking at a possible move to Homestead or Munhall, PA. Can anyone update me on the job market for retail pharmacists in this area or around Pittsburgh? Any info would be appreciated! :)

Hi all,

I'm currently an RPh in Los Angeles and looking at a possible move to Homestead or Munhall, PA. Can anyone update me on the job market for retail pharmacists in this area or around Pittsburgh? Any info would be appreciated! :)

It sucks more than the last time we posted about it.

Sorry.

Good luck, though.

It sucks more than the last time we posted about it.

Thanks for the honest reply. Did you mean it sucks just in Pittsburgh or all of PA? Would I be able to find something 40 minutes out of the Pittsburgh like someone had previously mentioned?

there is nothing there

*if* there was, you have to ? the job b/c there really is no jobs there and would have to wonder why a job opened that was not filled fast

you have like 5 pharm schools in a 2 hr radius or so, there just isnt anything there

Is the cost of living in PA really low? My friend just graduated from a sonography program making $40 per hour in CA with Kaiser.

I can't see how they can get a way with offering $38 when a 2 year sonography program can make more.

Is the cost of living in PA really low? My friend just graduated from a sonography program making $40 per hour in CA with Kaiser.

I can't see how they can get a way with offering $38 when a 2 year sonography program can make more.

cost of living isnt that high, obviously PITT has expensive areas and stuff
they are taking advantage of the situation (as will others in due time)....they offer 38 starting, in fact, that offer is the most Ive gotten repeatedly in my mail box over the years