Potential anesthesiologist..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andyffer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some initial information:
I am a high school student and I am very interested in being an anesthesiologist. Unfortunately, I have received a few C's in my grades in the past (both freshman and sophomore year). I am in my junior year planning on a 4.0 if I can figure out my physics.
I do not play sports or are in any extracurricular activities. I study a lot of the time. I am not taking any honors classes and never had but I plan to next year. What are your guys' thoughts? Do I even have a chance with colleges and med school seeing that?
I obviously plan on going to college but do not have a clue of which one. In state vs. out of state doesnt make a difference to me. It would take a hit to my parents who do not have a ton of money but arnt living-on-the-street poor either. My step father is a neurosurgeon so I know a few of his friends who are doctors and Im sure they would be happy to give recommendations for me.
Then what about medical school? Good ones near AZ? Think I would even be accepted with my high school lack of impressment?

Any ideas would help me a lot. Im off to study my physics now so please help me out.

Also, any thoughts on future classes to take and anything else

Thanks

Hey young dude. First, don't let anyone tell you that a less than stellar high school performance will deter you from ANYTHING. Just buckle down a bit, get into a decent University (home state or any scholarship as cost/benefit ratios are changing, so go to the best, cheapest place you can).

Good luck in your pursuits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey young dude. First, don't let anyone tell you that a less than stellar high school performance will deter you from ANYTHING. Just buckle down a bit, get into a decent University (home state or any scholarship as cost/benefit ratios are changing, so go to the best, cheapest place you can).

Good luck in your pursuits.

Yeah man, one step at a time. Do your best in high school so you can go to the best college possible (cost/benefit ratios taken into consideration). Then do your best in college to go to the best medical school possible. And then do your best in medical school so you can go to the best residency possible. Medical schools don't care about high schools. Residencies don't care about colleges.

And whatever you do, keep your options open. There's a ton of cool stuff out there that's not doctor-related that you could miss out on otherwise.

Get into the best college you can. Blow it out. Transfer to the best college you can. Blow that out too, and the MCAT as well, and you're good to go. If my med school looked at high school I wouldn't be typing on a medical blog today.

whew that is good news lol

blow it out?

In my experience, high school has little to do with where you will end up in 10 years. No matter your grades or SAT, its how you do in college that makes the difference of whether you get into med school or not.
Try to get into a decent college, if not then make sure you do really well in whatever college you do get in to. Do well on the MCAT. Also, do some research, community service, volunteer work and you will get into a med school. I know a few really smart folks who totally screwed off in high school, enjoyed themselves, and hit the books in college. Now we are all in the same med school class.
Don't stress. Enjoy high school. You will get a chance to stress about all of this very soon.

My HS GPA: 3.2. College GPA: 3.8 Med. School: Top of my class-use that as motivation-From a true retrospective look, a lot of the "top performers" in HS do not do well in college and vice versa as well. Dont get discouraged....

I'll be the lone dissenting voice here and suggest that you go to the cheapest 4-year university of reasonable quality, and the cheapest medical school.

Where you end up for residency will depend far more on you, your grades, your clinical evals, and your board scores than whether you paid $200K to go to Stanford vs $80K to go to a public university, and another $250K to go to USC for med school vs $120K to go to a state school. After residency, no one on earth will care the slightest bit where you went to school.

You will care about the debt you incur however, especially if physician salaries continue to decline.

I totally agree with pgg-go to the cheapest american med school possible-kick ass in that school and you will have your choice of residency with half of the debt.

I'll be the lone dissenting voice here and suggest that you go to the cheapest 4-year university of reasonable quality, and the cheapest medical school.

Where you end up for residency will depend far more on you, your grades, your clinical evals, and your board scores than whether you paid $200K to go to Stanford vs $80K to go to a public university, and another $250K to go to USC for med school vs $120K to go to a state school. After residency, no one on earth will care the slightest bit where you went to school.

You will care about the debt you incur however, especially if physician salaries continue to decline.

I think others have mentioned the cost/benefit of choosing undergraduate schools so far. I will second pgg in that I don't think medical school really matters as much as either college or (I've heard) residency. I guess maybe if you had your heart set on ortho or derm or something you might consider somewhere a little more competitive, but aside from that, medical school is medical school. Everybody's an MD on the other side...

Words of wisdom.