Spiriva......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't you know someone in aeronautical technology field?

Watching the news about the US Airways (which I fly) landing in Hudson, I would think that if planes had a ultrasonic device to deter birds from getting close, it could prevent accidents...

Perhaps overly simplistic way of thinking.. But I hate ducks and geese...they crap all over the golf course then slow down traffic in my hood. I will run them over....

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7227452.html

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Relativity. Einstein and ****. I'd figure he'd say this wouldn't work too good with'en that plane travelin' like a miss-aisle through the air. That there dop-a-ler effect won't let them geese to decipher the hollerin' that doohickey'd let out in time to do what need'n be done. It might could be a way to swindle some dumb people out of they money though...snake oil salesman like...

:thumbup:

Relativity. Einstein and ****. I'd figure he'd say this wouldn't work too good with'en that plane travelin' like a miss-aisle through the air. The doppler effect woulnd't allow them geese to decipher the hollerin' that doohickey'd let out in time to do what need'n be done.

:thumbup:

Birds will only be at a certain altitude "relatively" low where the planes are cruising at a fairly low speed. Of course when I was flying a little Cessna...we were usually taking off and landing at around 65 knots.. not very fast. Of course Jets are going faster yet, we gotta get these birds under control!

Members don't see this ad :)
airplanes should be the next rambling topic in this forum....

her "friend" builds and supports engines from one of the big 3 makers...

I wish I could do my job in Tokyo like him...it would be sooo cool

just shoot the dad gum things...it will give the NRA something to do all day long

Also, I will now fly exclusively on US Air...I want the dude that can land a huge ass plane safely on a river to be my pilot.

You'll be spending a lot of time in Charlotte, NC. It's a charming airport.

airplanes should be the next rambling topic in this forum....

her "friend" builds and supports engines from one of the big 3 makers...

I wish I could do my job in Tokyo like him...it would be sooo cool

Well. her "friend" seems like a cool dude then...

just shoot the dad gum things...it will give the NRA something to do all day long

It's more dramatic to run them over with a car... it leaves a nice stain on the road.

I don't think its that charming...only thing good about it is the chilli's in it! He could be flying into Phoenix too which I think sky harbor is nicer...but that is not here or there

I want to fly the new 787 and A-380 and just feel how are technology has become over the years. Hopefully passengers don't get crammed into it like sardeen canteens

I don't think its that charming...only thing good about it is the chilli's in it! He could be flying into Phoenix too which I think sky harbor is nicer...but that is not here or there

ehhh..compared to LaGuardia...Newark...DFW...LAX... Atlanta.. Charlotte is charming enough. I think that's the first place I've ever had Krispy Kreme donut.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to fly the new 787 and A-380 and just feel how are technology has become over the years. Hopefully passengers don't get crammed into it like sardeen canteens

All the airliners feel about the same...

Alright...

The most charming airport I fly in and out of is Manchester, NH....

Better?

Haha, that's fine. I think the most "charming" airport I've flown into his ITO (Hilo, HI). I remember the plane banking left and all I see is a long runway and a semi-outdoor extended cabana looking thing hiding amongst the giant tropical foliage. It could have been an airport deep in the Amazon, and I wouldn't have noticed if it were not for the long runway.

And then I stepped off the plane and BIRDS were flying through the concourse. BIRDS! I half expected the luggage to just be piled up...I was surprised they had a conveyor belt in operation.

Now that's charming.

Haha, that's fine. I think the most "charming" airport I've flown into his ITO (Hilo, HI). I remember the plane banking left and all I see is a long runway and a semi-outdoor extended cabana looking thing hiding amongst the giant tropical foliage. It could have been an airport deep in the Amazon, and I wouldn't have noticed if it were not for the long runway.

And then I stepped off the plane and BIRDS were flying through the concourse. BIRDS! I half expected the luggage to just be piled up...I was surprised they had a conveyor belt in operation.

Now that's charming.

Aww dood... if that's what you like...try Papeete, Tahiti...we landed about 4 AM in the morning.. We get off the plane and see 4 bushy eyed native Tahitians who just woke up...grab their guitars and started to belt out polynesian songs!!! That was charming.

I recently heard from a friend what a great airport Charlotte is.

I only care that they have free internet. Which BWI does not. One of these days I'll set up my Blackberry as a wireless modem for the laptop.

I recently heard from a friend what a great airport Charlotte is.

I only care that they have free internet. Which BWI does not. One of these days I'll set up my Blackberry as a wireless modem for the laptop.

You haven't done that yet?

nope. I'm a bum. A bum without a landline to call tech support with.

nope. I'm a bum. A bum without a landline to call tech support with.

Listen Bum... bum a phone off someone... then use your friend's phone to call the tech support while you get your laptop set up.. I think I have a written instruction on how to do it. If I find it, I'll email it to you.

excellent!

I scheduled my 2nd and 3rd residency/fellowship interviews today.

1. Introduction
Did you know that BlackBerry can now be used just like an external modem for a laptop computer, so that a laptop can have full Internet access? This is useful when you need to do certain things that a BlackBerry cannot yet do. Increasing numbers of success reports have caused me to post this message. Sometimes, it is still tricky to set up a BlackBerry as a modem for a laptop, but this feature is becoming more and more common in cellphones, and BlackBerry models are following suit.

2. Supported BlackBerry Models
Model 710X:
Success (Rogers, T-Mobile)
Model 7290:
Success (Rogers, AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile)
Model 8100 Pearl:
Success (T-Mobile)
Model 8300 Curve:
Success (T-Mobile)
Model 8800:
Success (T-Mobile)
Model 8700:
Success (T-Mobile, Rogers, Cingular, Verizon)
IMPORTANT:

Other Models Than Listed Above: There is no modem built in. However, you can use third-party modem software called Shark Modem at http://www.mobishark.com/
3. Supported Carriers

Carrier T-Mobile:
Success!

Important: If you are using a BES 4.0 server, your BES 4.0 server, you should not use the "Disable IPmodem" setting. BES hosting providers such as eOutlook/Mailstreet/BES4U/MyBlueberry must avoid setting the "Disable IPmodem" setting.
4. Connect Your BlackBerry
Make sure your BlackBerry is connected by USB cable, and your BlackBerry Handheld Manager is running (just launch BlackBerry Desktop to run it.) This is necessary for using the BlackBerry as an external modem. You cannot use BlackBerry as a modem unless you have BlackBerry Handheld Manager running in the background!

5. Modem Driver Install
If you installed a recent version of BlackBerry Desktop that came with a 7100t, 7290, 7250, or 7520, it should include modem drivers and already be automatically installed. In the event you need to manually install them, the modem drivers should be located in this directory:
C:\program files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Modem Drivers
However, if you are having problems with these drivers, uninstall, delete all leftover RIM files, and then reinstall the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop.
6. Verify The Modem Driver Is Functioning
Go to Control Panel -> Phone & Modem Options. In the Modems tab, you should see a new Standard Modem on a new port (such as COM6 or COM11). Click Properties -> Diagnostics -> Query Modem. You should see the following:Quote:

ATQ0V1E0 - OK
AT+GMM - BlackBerry IPmodem
AT+FCLASS=? - OK
AT#CLS=? - OK
AT+GCI? - OK
AT+GCI=? - OK
ATI1 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
ATI2 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
ATI3 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
ATI4 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
ATI5 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
ATI6 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
ATI7 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem

7. IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
Click Properties -> Advanced. Add only ONE of the following Extra initialization commands with the appropriate carrier-specific APN Setting:

TMOBILE USA Users (Success!)
+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"
This is a newer string from TMO that works:
+cgdcont=1,,"wap.voicestream.com"
Another alternate string (required for BlackBerry 8100 Pearl & BlackBerry 8800):
+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

8. Add A New Internet Connection
Close the Phone and Modem Options and the Control Panel. Create a new connection with Start -> Connect To -> Show all connections -> Create a new connection.Quote:

1. Click Next

2. Select "Connect To The Internet" then Next

3. Select "Set up my connection manually" then Next

4. Select "Connect using a dial-up modem" then Next.

5. Check only the Standard Modem (if prompted).

6. Give the connection a name such as "BlackBerry Modem", then Next.

7. On the next screen, pick one of the following phone numbers, depending on your carrier:
....If you use GSM/Cingular/AT&T/TMobile/SwissCom: Enter phone number *99#

8. Click Next.

9. On the next screen, pick one of the following, depending on your carrier:

....If you use T-Mobile:
.........Username: (Your existing TMobile.com Username)

.........Password: (Your existing TMobile.com Password)

10. Clear all checkboxes ("Use...when anyone..." and "Make this the default...")

11. Click Finish

9. Disable IP Header Compression
Make sure TCP/IP Properties (Advanced) "
Use IP Header Compression" checkbox is NOT checked. To verify this, do these steps:
1. Start Menu->Network Connections->"BlackBerry Modem"
2. Click Properties Button
3. Click Networking Tab
4. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
5. Click Properties Button
6. Click Advanced... Button
7. Disable "Use IP header compression" checkbox
8. Click all OK buttons to close all dialogs

Also make sure you clear all these checkboxes, if you see any of these checked:
Turn off "Enable Hardware Flow Control"
Turn off "Enable Modem Error Control"
Turn off "Enable Modem Compression"

10. BES Configuration
Skip this step if you are not on BES. You only need to follow this step if your company gave the BlackBerry to you. If you are at a company and you are on a BES 4.0, your Administrator must enable the "BlackBerry IPModem" setting on the BES. This is a new setting in the Version 4.0 of BES.

11. Surf On The Laptop!
Connect to the Internet on the laptop by clicking the "BlackBerry Modem" icon via Start Menu->Network Connections. No username or password is needed.

Aww dood... if that's what you like...try Papeete, Tahiti...we landed about 4 AM in the morning.. We get off the plane and see 4 bushy eyed native Tahitians who just woke up...grab their guitars and started to belt out polynesian songs!!! That was charming.

mmm that's my kind of airport, i'll add that on to my "must travel to" list. tahiti, hmmm

So I told my "friend" I knew of a few pharmacy geeks who were aviation geek wannabes, interested in bird ingestion and engines. Here's what he sent me. ;)

When PW, GE or RR develop a new engine, in order to obtain FAA FAR33 certification, the engine must undergo rigorous tests: blade-out test, bird ingestion, water and hail. I believe the size of the bird for the test per FAA requirements is 2.5 Lbs.

The majority of investigations I have performed over the years involving bird ingestion only affected one engine, and resulted in an Air Turn Back (ATB) or flight continuation, rather than a crash.

The process to investigate these types of events is simple, but takes experience to interpret the results:

1) As soon as the A/C lands, do not disturb any evidence or wash the affected engine.
2) Enter the inlet cowl of the engine with a black light. You must work in the dark, so it is important to cover the front of the inlet.
3) All of the bird feathers contain oil, and this can only be seen with a black light where the bird impacts.
4) Ignore the big blood splash or contact as it is of little use.
5) Place masking tape locating the oil spots, seen only with black light. (Depending on the number of birds ingested, the more spots of oil you will observe).
6) Exit the inlet, and look at the engine from approximately 25 feet away. From this distance, you can determine relatively accurately how many birds were ingested.
7) From the guide vanes, or bleed valves of the engine, obtain feathers. If possible, isolate only the soft feathers from the chest.
8) Feathers are sent to the Smithsonian in Washington DC, to determine the bird species. They will be able to provide you with the bird species and its weight. Knowing this info can help airports figure out how to control flocks of these birds in their airspace.

While in Mexico, I investigated a B757 for bird ingestion. On T/O it ingested a turkey buzzer (a large bird) and the engine stopped producing thrust, so the pilot did an ATB. The damage at that time was more than $5M to the engine.

Here are some photos of typical damage you will see post ingestion with small birds, which will allow the flight to continue.

dsc00512lp7.jpg

dsc00519lw8.jpg

Below you can see damage to the engine fan blades and the type of bird involved. Two of these birds were ingested: one at 06:00 and one at 09:00.

dsc00520ea7.jpg

dsc00513hg2.jpg

dsc00512hi0.jpg

Cool Stuff!

But your friend didn't address "preventive" measures to prevent the birds from getting sucked in. And 2.5lb seems... too light. I think the lobbying of GE, RR, and PW influeced the FAA to set the limit at 2.5lb..

Granted..frozen turkey we buy (fatter than your wild birds) can weigh 14 pounds.. so if we get 2 or 3 large birds, we can have 30lb worth of birds getting sucked in.

I'm thinking Ultrosonic frequency emitted during take off and landing could do the trick.. I know...your environmentalists will cry fowl :smuggrin: but screw them!

Last edited:
Cool Stuff!

But your friend didn't address "preventive" measures to prevent the birds from getting sucked in. And 2.5lb seems... too light. I think the lobbying of GE, RR, and PW influeced the FAA to set the limit at 2.5lb..

Granted..frozen turkey we buy (fatter than your wild birds) can weigh 14 pounds.. so if we get 2 or 3 large birds, we can have 30lb worth of birds getting sucked in.

I'm thinking Ultrosonic frequency emitted during take off and landing could do the trick.. I know...your environmentalists will cry fowl :smuggrin: but screw them!

But then again, how much of the turkey or chicken you see that weights tens of lb can fly ...

But then again, how much of the turkey or chicken you see that weights tens of lb can fly ...

Dood...are you serious.. Candian Goose can weigh up to 20 pounds.. I only used the turkey example to give readers perspective on how large these birds can be..

Im actually surprised PETA hasn't started protesting the airlines yet because they killed 2 innocent birds and countless others on many other flights!

like zpack said...lots of birds can weigh over 20 pounds and fly. Plus Canadian Goose (geese?) can be an aggressive animal!

Im actually surprised PETA hasn't started protesting the airlines yet because they killed 2 innocent birds and countless others on many other flights!

If they protest, I'll get my grill out and start a rotisserie cookout to feed them..

Cool Stuff!

Yeah, I didn't ask him specifically about any preventative mechanisms they'd tried...just sent him a text message to forward me some info on his experience with these events. I'll ask him later. Granted, I'm not sure how much experience they'd have in that area, rather find out how to develop an engine that can withstand ingestion, and how to deal with it after doing so. Not sure though, I could very well be wrong.

Your idea seems to make sense to me though! There has to be a reason they haven't tried it though...or have and it didn't work. Wonder if it would interfere with communication signals between the aircraft/control tower? Cause the birds to fly even more erratically in the airspace and pose more of a problem? My thoughts were to develop some sort of shielding that would prevent anything large enough from entering the engine, yet not block airflow, freeze up, withstand speed to not get sucked up itself into the engine, etc. I'm guessing they've already considered that though. :p

Here's a video I remember my Dad sending me a year or so ago...thought it was kind of neat...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtSlX7L0KB0[/youtube]

And this is GE :)thumbdown :smuggrin:)...but a cool clip showing the kind of testing they under go:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jfXX7qppbc[/youtube]

And just read this in an AP article:

The accident also raised questions about whether airports around the country are doing enough to deal with bird flocks.

The agency that operates New York City's major airports said it has a multimillion-dollar program to chase birds off its property, but can only do so much to protect planes once they are in the air.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said it kills thousands of birds every year in the marshy waterways and tidal flats that surround its two major airports in Queens, and uses guns, pyrotechnics and hawks to drive away birds.

Among the other tactics: Bird eggs are coated in oil to prevent them from hatching. Nests are removed. The agency also plays recordings of bird distress calls, and landscapers remove shrubs and trees that might be attractive to certain species.

Sometimes aircraft have to take evasive action to avoid flocks of geese. Other times, it's too late and they can only hope for the best.
One Boeing 737 pilot writing about a strike in a safety report described the smell of burnt feathers and seabird after a gull was sucked into his rear engine during a landing at LaGuardia in 2004.
If an engine takes in a large bird — or several birds at once — fan blades may break, causing an imbalance in the engine's rotation and severe vibrations, said Kevin Poormon, who tests the ability of aircraft engines to withstand bird strikes. Those vibrations conceivably could be strong enough to cause an engine to come loose from its mounting, Poormon said.
That'll really get PETA going too!! :smuggrin:

Anyway, on topic:

I know mice and roaches hear at about the same frequencies as humans do (that's why Riddex and devices like that don't work). Maybe birds do to?

If we can't prevent the birds from entering the engine, I think the engine should be able to grind and puree these suckers as quickly as possible with sharp grinder like blades!

there were some shops and restaurants in tucson that had a recording of predatory birds to keep birds away... do they ever do that? I guess it's similar to the distress calls but not the exact same.

there were some shops and restaurants in tucson that had a recording of predatory birds to keep birds away... do they ever do that? I guess it's similar to the distress calls but not the exact same.

There is a reason why we call stupid people bird brain... cuz birds are dumb. They're stupid enough to fly right into a large large flying object that makes really loud noise... they deserve to die.

There is a reason why we call stupid people bird brain... cuz birds are dumb. They're stupid enough to fly right into a large large flying object that makes really loud noise... they deserve to die.

Haha...because the bird should know it's on some kind of suicide flight? In that case, they must be related to this bird...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnF5b57lNjE[/youtube]

Wonder what kind of predatory bird would be on the top of the food chain for a really large turkey buzzer type bird...not sure we want that kind around either. :p

Wonder what kind of predatory bird would be on the top of the food chain for a really large turkey buzzer type bird...not sure we want that kind around either. :p

I present to you.. The A Team! :thumbup:

camoflageandgoosehuntinea9.jpg

If we can't prevent the birds from entering the engine, I think the engine should be able to grind and puree these suckers as quickly as possible with sharp grinder like blades!

Here's his reply:

Unfortunately the fan blades, first rotating parts that come in contact with any foreign objects, are designed to be aerodynamically efficienct and their job is to move a large mass of airflow. In today's large bypass engines 10:1 or more, the blades must be light in weight due to the design characteristics or fan size. Engines are designed and certified to ingest certain bird size, but you cannot design an engine to ingest multiple large birds at the same time. If you do design such an engine, it will not be able to fly due to its weight ratio.

We landed on the moon.
We can get internet on cell phones.
4 minute mile has been shattered...

Yet we can't prevent birds from entering plane engines!! :mad:
Tell them engineers to get on it!