PCSOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Does anyone know Angel's e-mail? Could you pm me with it please?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like I havnt heard a thing from PCSOM applicants! Anyone accepted/interviewed? I know some interviews are up in Nov. and good luck to y'all. Hopefully I'll be getting in invite soon!

I also haven't seen much activity in the PCSOM thread. It seems like most of the other schools have several pages discussing that paticular school but PCSOM is weaker. I like PCSOM and it is probably my top choice. I have an interview in Dec. I don't know why PCSOM is not talked about as much as other schools. Oh well. Good luck and hope everyone hears something good from PCSOM. Let's keep this thread going.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey mroof1, i was wondering when you sent in your secondary and how long it took to get your interview invite...Im about the end of the third week since sending in my secondary and might be jumping the panic gun! Not sure if I have reason to worry, but I am! Good luck on your interview!

:scared: (my nerves)

my app was in about 2 months before I got an interview....they are VERY slow

alrighty then, Guess I'll try not to fret too much! Y'all dont forget to fill out the interview feedback, i dont think it's been updated for a year!

I would not worry about the lack of posts or threads concerning PCSOM. The school is in great shape and I have nothing but compliments about students and facility.
As far as the interview day goes, there will be a presentation of the school. This will be followed by a question and answer type segment of time where you can either tour the facility or ask any questions you may have to some of the staff but mostly the current students that will be there.Then during this time and thereafter the interviews take place, ~30min in length. After this is your own time and can grab some of the current student ambassadors to take a tour of the facility and answer any further questions.
Hope this helps clear the water a bit and of course good luck!

hey mroof1, i was wondering when you sent in your secondary and how long it took to get your interview invite...Im about the end of the third week since sending in my secondary and might be jumping the panic gun! Not sure if I have reason to worry, but I am! Good luck on your interview!

:scared: (my nerves)

I think my secondary was in around the end of september. It was about a month before I heard about the interview. I called her the other day and she told me what is was and that she was sending out my letter. So yes it does take a little longer, but worth it. Its hard to play the waiting game.

I think that generally people don't have too many questions about PCSOM until they get an interview invite. Then you have tons about rotations classes ect. I've found that most of our students are pretty low key. I will say that our faculty is great. Being in a small community has clinical advantages. You get to do way more procedures and experience way more than a larger school. Our open clinics every week are always fun to go to in order to practice OMT or clinical skills. Good luck to everyone..... Lemme go study

Wow, I totoally forgot I even applied to Pikeville they are so slow! I guess I should call them and withdraw. Good luck to everybody else!

Wow, I totoally forgot I even applied to Pikeville they are so slow! I guess I should call them and withdraw. Good luck to everybody else!

It does take awhile, but good luck aliDO!

How funny, got my interview invite in the mail today. I've been complete since late August/early September. They probably had me on hold for a little bit. Probably won't go due to other acceptance deposit due December 14th. My interview is Dec. 5th. I wonder how long the turnaround time is?

PCSOM turanaround is 2 days. No joke.

I'm in the same boat. I have an interview in the 22nd and I may cancel due to other acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to have all of your LORs turned in before Pikeville will interview you or do you just have to have your secondary turned in?

Thanks!

How funny, got my interview invite in the mail today. I've been complete since late August/early September. They probably had me on hold for a little bit. Probably won't go due to other acceptance deposit due December 14th. My interview is Dec. 5th. I wonder how long the turnaround time is?

Well if you decide to go, I will be there on Dec. 5th. That is my interview date. If not, good luck with your other acceptances. I always hate to cut off my chances in case something happens and then I need it back.

SDBMDA: I think that you have to have your LORs in before you get an interview. They have told me before that your file has to be complete before they look at it. But who knows? I would just give Angel a call or email her.

Talked to Angel yesterday and she stated that 25 people will be at the interview on 11/22. That being said, if youre not sincerely interested in PCSOM, and you have other acceptances, please, please, please, withdraw so as to improve the odds for the rest of us. Nevertheless, Im pumped about the interview. Angel swears it will be no stress.

Talked to Angel yesterday and she stated that 25 people will be at the interview on 11/22. That being said, if youre not sincerely interested in PCSOM, and you have other acceptances, please, please, please, withdraw so as to improve the odds for the rest of us. Nevertheless, Im pumped about the interview. Angel swears it will be no stress.

It's hard to know if you're interested if you haven't ever seen the school (like when you interivew!).

I think what I said came off wrong. Please dont take it the wrong way. I mean no harm and didnt even think of the fact that you hadnt been there yet! I recently took a tour at Pike and I can tell you that the drive into Pikeville is pretty rough, so make sure you allow plenty of time for the drive for safety. I cant imagine driving on those roads in rough weather.

Would it be a good idea to call Angel and see where my file is? I wasn't sure if I could do that, I already know it is complete. I just wish they would get on with it and give me an interview or reject me!

I think what I said came off wrong. Please dont take it the wrong way. I mean no harm and didnt even think of the fact that you hadnt been there yet! I recently took a tour at Pike and I can tell you that the drive into Pikeville is pretty rough, so make sure you allow plenty of time for the drive for safety. I cant imagine driving on those roads in rough weather.

No, I know what you mean. It'll all play out though. People won't put down deposits if they aren't interested anymore. I hope it's not snowing where I can't even make it up there!

I've been a lurker but I do have an interview on November 22, as well. I am from eastern Kentucky and do go to Alice Lloyd College (yeah you might have google or wikipedia that :laugh:) They are usually selective and pick people from the region but I wish you all the best of luck and hope to see some of you all there!

I've been reading SDN for awhile now.. but just decided to get an account.

I interviewed at PCSOM on Oct 17th. I was impressed with the school. It had very low student/professor ratios and the cadaver lab was nice. The students and faculty that i met seemed to really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. It was def. a positive experience.

I liked the school so much that i immediately accepted and will be in their 2013 class.

I want to thank scdocusc, and all of the other current students for their posts across SDN. It was very helpful during the application process.

Anybody in this thread interview on the 17th also?

And lastly if anyone has any questions just PM me.. i will be happy to help with the little experince that i have.

GP

Hey where are those new interview feedbacks? Can some of you that have already interviewed this interview session please write/type up some feedback? I know it helps me to read some of those to get a feel for some questions and experiences. I think there is one new one and thanks for that.

Anyway, I hope everyone did well on their interviews so far and good luck to those that haven't had theirs yet.

I put up some new Feedback.. It got the date wrong for some reason..

Mostly the interview is very conversational and not stressful. They ask all the regular questions you would expect. (Why PCSOM, ETC) Make sure you bring lots of questions for the current students that are present. They give you ample time to talk to them. This was actually the selling point for me on the school. All of the students were extremely enthusiastic and honest.

It was refreshing how fluid and conversational the whole process was.

I did a couple mock interviews with one of my study partners.. and that helped tremendously.

GP

Just wondering if anyone out there knows how often Canadian students are granted interviews / acceptance to PCSOM?

Glad to see that many people are interested in PCSOM. To answer some of your questions, we do have a good many international students. I don't know if many of them are from Canada but there is a good many of those students. I can't stress enough how happy I am at PCSOM. It was just the perfect school for me so far. Only time will tell but I feel like my preparation for boards and clinical skills are great. The school has really gone out of their way to hire professors of high caliber to teach you the important parts. Good luck to all those who are interviewing. If you have any questions I can try to answer them

Thanks GDP for your interview feedback. I keep hearing that it is just conversational and real laid back. It is just easier said than done. Well I am just trying to get a feel for it. I will be there next friday Dec. 5th. I am looking forward to it and can't wait. I wonder if they will tell us anything from before Christmas. I hope so. That would be an awesome Christmas gift.

mroof1
They should notify you within two days. I interviewed on Nov 22 and was notified that I got in on the 24. So they have by far one of the fastest turn around time with respect to other schools.

I got my phone call at around 8 in the morning 2 days after the interview saying I was accepted. Lets say an 8 in the morning phone call when I'm sleepy doesn't make me sound excited but I truly was. I am going there and good luck with your interview on the 5th! PM for any questions!

Thanks for the match list. Even though it was 2005 it shows that PCSOM can still put out a neurosurgeon! I see a lot of Anesthesiology and that makes me feel good because I have been considering that heavily.

Thanks for the match list. Even though it was 2005 it shows that PCSOM can still put out a neurosurgeon! I see a lot of Anesthesiology and that makes me feel good because I have been considering that heavily.

Yeah I couldn't find any other lists for them. If anyone else has one, let me know, so I can add it. Check out the FAQs thread for other schools' lists.

one little bit about the match list: There are many alumni who come back and give lectures in their respective specialties. It's a really cool thing to see how many graduates from PCSOM have gone into many different areas of medicine. I've heard that one rotation place for PCSOM in Norton Va is awesome. Apparently you get one of the best rotation experiences in the nation because there are no competing programs budding in on your patients. I was impressed by the leadership and skill of the recent graduates. They really seem to be shooting up the ranks in their fields. Don't let the rural health in Eastern Kentucky mission discourage you from applying. Many students go into specialties and stay in the area and start really solid practice. Who knows you might be giving a lecture on OB-GYN to PCSOM someday.

Does anyone know PCSOM's Board pass rates? Do they even publish this information?

Thanks,

GP

one little bit about the match list: There are many alumni who come back and give lectures in their respective specialties. It's a really cool thing to see how many graduates from PCSOM have gone into many different areas of medicine. I've heard that one rotation place for PCSOM in Norton Va is awesome. Apparently you get one of the best rotation experiences in the nation because there are no competing programs budding in on your patients. I was impressed by the leadership and skill of the recent graduates. They really seem to be shooting up the ranks in their fields. Don't let the rural health in Eastern Kentucky mission discourage you from applying. Many students go into specialties and stay in the area and start really solid practice. Who knows you might be giving a lecture on OB-GYN to PCSOM someday.

I'm really excited since I got accepted. The DO I shadowed over the summer did her residency over at Norton. I was just wondering what type of specialties people in your class are going into and what specialty you are choosing for yourself?

I'm really excited since I got accepted. The DO I shadowed over the summer did her residency over at Norton. I was just wondering what type of specialties people in your class are going into and what specialty you are choosing for yourself?

Congrats on the acceptance! Our class is very diverse. We have students from all over and some from right here as well. We have a wide range of wishes for specialties. They range from family practice to neuro-surgery and forensic pathology. Just because Pikeville stresses family medicine does not mean you are inclined to do so. But, because they stress this, they produce wonderful, and caring physicians regardless of the field they end up going into.

To those hesitant to see what Pikeville is about: I chose to go to Pikeville after being accepted to two other schools, one of which was much closer to my family and friends. I would never change my decision. Pikeville is the only school to bend over backward to help it's students. The community loves us, the administration loves us, and we really enjoy each other. We have so many opportunities to get involved with the community and in the clinical setting. There are also two mission trips each summer (one in Dominican Republic, and the other in Guatemala) that you can get involved with which looks outstanding when applying for residencies.

I hope this helps. Any questions? Just ask.

Yeah I couldn't find any other lists for them. If anyone else has one, let me know, so I can add it. Check out the FAQs thread for other schools' lists.

Hey folks, I was in the class of 2008, here are some of the matches for my class. I am sure the school keeps a list, but I don't have it, this is something a class mate threw together.

No idea about COMLEX pass rates other than to tell you I did fine and my friends did too.

You are welcome to PM with questions, I don't hit this site as much as I did when I was in school so it may take some time to get back to you. I am doing EM in Richmond VA, so if you want to email me you can find the address on line. Good luck with your education! Remember that you will only get from med school what you put into it. All the bitter people on this site that bad mouth schools likely thought they would have it handed to them. Don't be that person.

Cheers,
E-

Gen. Surgery Detroit, MI (Detroit Med Center System)
IM Knoxville, TN (U of Tenn.)
IM Washington, DC (Walter Reed Army Med)
IM Cincinnati, OH (Christ Hospital)
FM Tupelo, MS
Neurology University of Mississipi
Ob-Gyn Philadelphia, PA
EM-IM Westlake, OH (cleveland area)
IM Corinth, MS
Gen. Surgery Detroit, MI
IM Norton, VA
Family South Bend, IN (St. Joseph's)
NeuroSurgery Livingston, NJ
Trad Intern, Rad York, PA (Memorial Hospital)
IM Cinncinati, OH (U of Cincy)
EM East Lansing, MI (MSU)
Gen. Surgery Mobile, AL (U of S. AL)
IM Michigan (Henry Ford)
Trad Intern, PMR Amarillo, TX (Texas Tech U)
IM Joplin, MO
IM Lexington, KY (UK)
IM Louisville, KY (UofL)
IM Corinth, MS
Family Fort Wayne, IN
Med Peds Hershey, PA (Penn State)
Peds Lexington, KY (UK)
EM Warren, MI
Trad Intern, Anesthesia St. Peterburg, FL
Ob-Gyn Pontiac, MI
EM Jackson, MS (UMC)
Gen. Surgery Garden City, MI
IM Lansing, MI (Ingham Regional)
Ob-Gyn Philadelphia, PA
IM Cincinnati, OH (U of Cincy)
Gen. Surgery Farmington Hills, MI (Botsford)
Anesthesia Little Rock, AK (UAMS)
Gen. Surgery Kirksville, MO (Northeast Reg.)
IM Michigan (Henry Ford)
Ob-Gyn Pontiac, MI (SJMO)
Family Spartanburg, SC
EM Richmond, VA (Med College of VA/VCU)
Ob-Gyn Johnson City, TN (ETSU)
IM Norton, VA
Family Birmingham, AL (St. Vincent's)
Family Henderson, KY
IM Charleston, WV
EM Columbus, OH
Trad Intern, PMR Kalamazoo, MI (MSU @ Bronson Hospital)
EM Portsmouth, OH

Hey folks, I was in the class of 2008, here are some of the matches for my class. I am sure the school keeps a list, but I don't have it, this is something a class mate threw together.

No idea about COMLEX pass rates other than to tell you I did fine and my friends did too.

You are welcome to PM with questions, I don't hit this site as much as I did when I was in school so it may take some time to get back to you. I am doing EM in Richmond VA, so if you want to email me you can find the address on line. Good luck with your education! Remember that you will only get from med school what you put into it. All the bitter people on this site that bad mouth schools likely thought they would have it handed to them. Don't be that person.

Cheers,
E-

Gen. Surgery Detroit, MI (Detroit Med Center System)
IM Knoxville, TN (U of Tenn.)
IM Washington, DC (Walter Reed Army Med)
IM Cincinnati, OH (Christ Hospital)
FM Tupelo, MS
Neurology University of Mississipi
Ob-Gyn Philadelphia, PA
EM-IM Westlake, OH (cleveland area)
IM Corinth, MS
Gen. Surgery Detroit, MI
IM Norton, VA
Family South Bend, IN (St. Joseph's)
NeuroSurgery Livingston, NJ
Trad Intern, Rad York, PA (Memorial Hospital)
EM East Lansing, MI (MSU)
Gen. Surgery Mobile, AL (U of S. AL)
IM Michigan (Henry Ford)
Trad Intern, PMR Amarillo, TX (Texas Tech U)
IM Joplin, MO
IM Lexington, KY (UK)
IM Louisville, KY (UofL)
IM Corinth, MS
Family Fort Wayne, IN
Med Peds Hershey, PA (Penn State)
Peds Lexington, KY (UK)
EM Warren, MI
Trad Intern, Anesthesia St. Peterburg, FL
Ob-Gyn Pontiac, MI
EM Jackson, MS (UMC)
Gen. Surgery Garden City, MI
IM Lansing, MI (Ingham Regional)
Ob-Gyn Philadelphia, PA
IM Cincinnati, OH (U of Cincy)
Gen. Surgery Farmington Hills, MI (Botsford)
Anesthesia Little Rock, AK (UAMS)
Gen. Surgery Kirksville, MO (Northeast Reg.)
IM Michigan (Henry Ford)
Ob-Gyn Pontiac, MI (SJMO)
Family Spartanburg, SC
EM Richmond, VA (Med College of VA/VCU)
Ob-Gyn Johnson City, TN (ETSU)
IM Norton, VA
Family Birmingham, AL (St. Vincent's)
Family Henderson, KY
IM Charleston, WV
EM Columbus, OH
Trad Intern, PMR Kalamazoo, MI (MSU @ Bronson Hospital)
EM Portsmouth, OH
Thank you for the list! It looks promising for the fields I want to consider... but on another note. How is the housing for the med students? I live close but never actually looked at housing and its cost.

I MADE IT!!! I GOT ACCEPTED!!!

yes I got the call this morning from the Dean saying he had "good news" for me. I might actually make something of myself after all.

Congrats to all that have got accepted so far and good luck to those that are still waiting.

Congrats mroof1!!!!!

Im happy for you, a little jealous, but happy! So, you know, if you are all done with this process and have officially decided to attend Pikeville, perhaps you can turn your prayers, or wishing or whatever you used personally, to help me get an interview and acceptance! Lol

Again, Congragulation!

I MADE IT!!! I GOT ACCEPTED!!!

yes I got the call this morning from the Dean saying he had "good news" for me. I might actually make something of myself after all.

Congrats to all that have got accepted so far and good luck to those that are still waiting.

Congrats! Welcome to the class of 2013!

Congrats mroof1!!!!!

Im happy for you, a little jealous, but happy! So, you know, if you are all done with this process and have officially decided to attend Pikeville, perhaps you can turn your prayers, or wishing or whatever you used personally, to help me get an interview and acceptance! Lol

Again, Congragulation!

thanks wackyfizzle and tnig469! yes I have officially decided to attend Pikeville. I emailed and cancelled my other interview.

wackyfizzle, I will turn my prayers and wishing and everything else your way for you to get an interview!!
Have you called Angel or contacted anyone from there lately? It might help to just to communicate with them in some manner. Keep your name on their mind. Let's them know that you are interested. Hope that helps.

Hey guys! I called Angel last week and she said only seven spots have been filled for the new incoming class! So that is great news! That means a lot left to be filled! She also said that admissions will try to let those who got interviews know before winter break. Does anyone know what percentage of interviewees get officially accepted? Seems like a great school, heard nothing but good things. I want to get an interview!

Hey guys! I called Angel last week and she said only seven spots have been filled for the new incoming class! So that is great news! That means a lot left to be filled! She also said that admissions will try to let those who got interviews know before winter break. Does anyone know what percentage of interviewees get officially accepted? Seems like a great school, heard nothing but good things. I want to get an interview!

Most people they interview have a really high chance to be accepted.

Usually they want people who will stay around the region to provide healthcare.

I know of 4 people for sure going for the class of 2013. Mostly from the region. I really hope you get an interview because it sounds like you really want to go to PCSOM.

I have also heard the same that people that receive interviews have a high chance of acceptance. That is crazy that only 7 spots have been filled!
My advice to you and everyone else that has not got an interview yet is to "bother" them by communication in a professional way. Once a week, give them a call or email. Tell them about new grades or classes, or that you have volunteered somewhere. Every time that you do that, they put that in your file and your file is pulled to the top to be looked at again. Hope that helps.

Out of my school both people who had interviews so far have been accepted. The reason for only 7 spots being filled is because the second and third round of acceptances don't have to have their money in until around January 1. Like the others have said if you have and interview that means they liked you enough to spend the time to look at you further. So, just relax and be yourself. I know you keep hearing that on here but it is really the truth and Pikeville does their best to make the day as painless as possible.

I've been trying to keep my name in their heads. I sent a LOI and I called before Thanksgiving, I dont want to be a nudge but I think I will probably call them again in January. I just want to know if they put me on hold or something. Thank mroof1 hopefully it will help!

I've been trying to keep my name in their heads. I sent a LOI and I called before Thanksgiving, I dont want to be a nudge but I think I will probably call them again in January. I just want to know if they put me on hold or something. Thank mroof1 hopefully it will help!

I would call again sometime in December if you are really worried about it.

I swear Angel is the nicest and sweetest person to talk to.

I know of two people from Canada currently at our school. They both attended U.S. Undergraduate Colleges.

As far as housing goes, I live in the Anthony apartments. They are located on Grace avenue between the Appalachian Wireless and Community Trust bank.Close to school and has gated parking. There are 4 floors and our mainly occupied by medical students. I pay around $515 for apartment not including electricity. Cable is already hooked up in my apartment. If you are interested in these apartments I would say call them ASAP b/c they usually go fast and usually there's a waiting list. They are owned by Hensley Development.

There are a couple of students who pay only $150/month through govt. assisted living. There are a couple of townhouses which are nice and a few other apartment complexes that are occupied by medical students. Hope this helps!

ive been trying to get hold of them over the phone and email for almost 3 weeks no response..i need to know if they got my secondary

can someone please tell me a more reliable phone number and email address? who is Angel??

Status
Not open for further replies.