Periodic Table for PCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DazedMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm tutoring a student for the PCAT and am curious if the chemistry periodic table will be given.

Members don't see this ad.

DazedMD said:
I'm tutoring a student for the PCAT and am curious if the chemistry periodic table will be given.
No it is not given and you will not need it.

kvl1027 said:
No it is not given and you will not need it.

By saying you don't need them do you mean that you should just have the stuff memorized (ie oxidation number, atomic wt of the main elements) or that if you do need that sort of thing, they'll just tell you what it is so you can do your own calculations? Which brings me to another question, is every calculation done by hand--no calculators? *edit* Sorry, just saw in the FAQ that calculators are not allowed.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glowwyrm said:
By saying you don't need them do you mean that you should just have the stuff memorized (ie oxidation number, atomic wt of the main elements) or that if you do need that sort of thing, they'll just tell you what it is so you can do your own calculations? Which brings me to another question, is every calculation done by hand--no calculators? *edit* Sorry, just saw in the FAQ that calculators are not allowed.
Thanks.

What you need for the problems is given in the question.

Glowwyrm said:
Thanks.
Everything you need to do the problem is given in regards to oxidation number etc. The Compounds they use are simple. You should know the atonic wt of atoms they use, carbon oxygen, nitrogen, etc..

No calculators, everything is done by hand. But like i said nothign is really complicated by way of calculations, there werent even a lot of calculations if I remember correctly. MOst of the Chem questions are concept based. Also remember that time is your biggest enemy on the PCAT. Know the concepts well enough so that you can narrow your choices down just by reading and understanding the question. Good luck!

I encountered several questions on the June test that required knowledge of periodic table, e.g., atomic numbers from the first three periods (and NOT from the most familiar elements).

This was really frustrating because: 1) I was led to believe all pertinent info would be included within the question and did not bother to memorize atomic #'s from transitional elements, and 2) Those questions were extremely easy if I had only known the atomic # for the element in question.

I will be better prepared for October test.

Yes, you will need to know atleast the first two rows of the periodic table. I was ask a couple of questions that required knowledge of it.

savvysearch said:
Yes, you will need to know atleast the first two rows of the periodic table. I was ask a couple of questions that required knowledge of it.
First two Families/columns not Rows/periods...OP should also know periodic trends but you dont need to go overboard